Polygraphite suspension parts, good or bad?

Started by 48builder, July 27, 2007, 12:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I'm getting ready to pull the body off the frame and replace all the parts on my '87 Grand Prix clip. Does anybody have any experience with the polygraphite bushings like these

http://www.classicperform.com/polyplus/polyplus.htm

Or should I just stick with stock replacements? I want the car to handle good, but do not want a harsh ride.

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Dave

Quote from: "48builder"I'm getting ready to pull the body off the frame and replace all the parts on my '87 Grand Prix clip. Does anybody have any experience with the polygraphite bushings like these

http://www.classicperform.com/polyplus/polyplus.htm

Or should I just stick with stock replacements? I want the car to handle good, but do not want a harsh ride.

Thanks

Walt

Id say why not? what can it hurt. Polyurethane (spelling) is tougher and lasts a lot longer than rubber . Id think the graphite would make for a little smoother ride than plain old poly. Poly is noted for its harsher ride. This may or may not make it a little smoother. It could be just a good selling point but id bet there is a difference.
Dave  :wink:

EMSjunkie

I have heard they have a tendancy to "squeek".
but the graphite should provide some lubrication, so....I guess I dunno :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Learpilot

We bought the whole kit for my Son's 68 Camaro. It works great and does not squeak . It handles better but we upgraded the shocks and sway bar also.  
Rick Harris

48ford

We had them in a mustang that we had for a long,long, time and I was happy.
They take out a lot of the slopyness(spel)and never squeaked. The graphite takes care of the squeaks.
I got mine from PST
Hope this helps
Russ

jaybee

I haven't used the polygraphite but have used polyurethane.  I was very happy with how it tightened up the feel of the car.  The graphite is added to combat squeeking but I'd probably put some poly-safe grease on it just to be safe.  Mine was a unibody car and I thought it rode OK but on a full-frame car I'd probably use poly in the suspension and rubber for body mounts to add a little cush.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dave

Vance ive had the poly bushings squeek. They have a memory also (unlike you )  :lol: . Some times you have to loosen the bolt or what ever fastner is holding it in place at ride height under a load then re tighten to get rid of the squeek 8)  Worked for me on my 34 with the parallel leafs in the rear.. I for get who told me that and id give em credit if i could remember.. Id suspect the poly graphite bushings wont squeek and thats why they were designed..
Dave :wink:  :wink:

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "jusjunk"They have a memory also (unlike you )   :

what was the question :?:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

entodad

I put a set of polygraphite bushings in my 89 extended cab chevy pu....I hated them....
the truck didn't ever drive quite right...way too stiff....
In a car that I expected the ride to be stiff, they would probably be ok...
but in my truck it made the truck amplify every bump in the road....

I took them out recently and went back to the old rubber bushings....the ride is much better.

Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Jbird

I've used the PST kits in a 74' 442 and a 70' Challenger. Worked out real nice, I just wish they supplied more assembly lube.

There is a warning on the box for guys like Vance, Dave, Bruce and Tony. "This product may be unsuitable for men with double/triple chins, man boobs, and beer bellys but it is highly recommended for women built like Dolly or Pam"    Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance