SBC Tranny opnions wanted please

Started by Dirk35, August 03, 2007, 11:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

Hi all. Im needing opnions and info please.

I have a SBC 305 on my 1934 Sedan with a Turbo 350 in it now, and a 8 inch rear with somewhere between 3:73 to 4:11 gears in the rear end.  My current tranny loses 3rd gear after a few miles if running nad needs rebuilt anyway, but I prefer to toss it for something more street usable. Id like to use this car on long trips since I cannot get the 35 PU out of town its sucha  gas hog.

I must change the tranny to something that will run better on the road. I cannot get it above 65 w/o it seeming like it is going to explode.

I personally was leaning towards a 700R4, but my local tranny guy thinks I should go with Chevy newer tranny (4L60EIEIO........whatever the letters and numbers are) as he says it is a true 4 speed auto tranny instead of a 3 speed with a overdrive.

I understand Ill have to change the driveshaft out  , and install a TV cable too. But what else will I need?

Should I used the 700R4, or the newer tranny? Im not opposed to putting in the computer stuff to control the newer tranny if it will be a better tranny.

GIVE ME YOUR OPNIONS Please, and your advice and Experience!

Thanks.

Crosley.In.AZ

i hope you misunderstood the trans guy...

the 4L60E trans is the same internals as a 700r4 trans... a few changes and upgrades, but the same basic hard parts.

valve body is completely different from a 4L60 to a 4L60E

IF that is what he said , find another trans guy.

A quality  controller & wire harness  for a 4l60E unit will run near 1,000 dollars .

Install a 200-4r and it bolts in place of the t-350 trans IF the t-350 has a 6 inch long tail housing on it.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dirk35

So, will the 700R4 have the same gear rations and act the same as the 4L60E?

How about the 4L60?

Tell me more about a 200R4 please.

Im not sure about which tail shaft I have on the 34, how do I know the difference? Im not much a Chevy guy.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Dirk35"So, will the 700R4 have the same gear rations and act the same as the 4L60E?

How about the 4L60?

Im not sure about which tail shaft I have on the 34, how do I know the difference? Im not much a Chevy guy.

Here are the gear ratios:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p3.html

The same for the 700, 4L60E, and 4L60.

You can see the 700 has a deeper first gear.  Probably put in since so many of these went into pickups.  With your car not weighing that much either would work fine like Tony said.  

The tail housing bolts on the back just in front of the U-Joint, so it is easy to measure the length of it.

Like Tony said I would look for a different transmission guy  :wink: ,

Sum

48ford

I have a 200R4 in the 46ford and it holds up behind the 400 sbc.
If you go with the 200 you don't need to have a new driveshaft ,the old one will bolt in.
You don't need a computer to run the 200 or 700 trannys.build your own or get a kit . Set up the TV cable and you are finished
Lots of good info right here on how to do it.
If your car has an "X" member frame you will have to do some more cutting to fit any of them in.
The 200 is the same length as the 350 you have but it is wider.
Take your time,the info is out there.
Russ

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Dirk35"So, will the 700R4 have the same gear rations and act the same as the 4L60E?

How about the 4L60?

700-r4 = 4L60..... same trans,  a simple rename by GM

700r4 , 4L60 , 4L60E have the same internal parts, same gear ratios, same basic strength
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)