29 Essex Coupe

Started by Erick, July 16, 2007, 09:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erick

GPster had suggested that I fill you guys in more with what I'm doing with the 29 Essex coupe. I think he had a good idea with this. I've been asking questions about this car and others that I'm involved in, and everybody on this board have been kind and informative.

Here are some pictures of the body that I'm starting with. The frame it's sitting on is not the original. It doesn't sit right on the frame and the wheelbase is too short. I have a 46 Dodge 1/2 ton that I'm taking the cab, box, etc. off of and use the frame from that. It has the right dimensions so the coupe will just sit on top of the frame rails. Wheelbase for the pickup frame is 2-2.5" longer than the stock frame of the coupe. I plan on using the stock front suspension from the pickup. It's a solid axle with parallel leafs. It does have the screw in bushings and hangers GPster had mentioned were on his 48. I took apart the original leaf springs and re-packed them. It dropped the front end roughly 4 inches and is not anywhere as stiff as it had been. Just recently got a 92 Dodge Caravan to use for the rear leaf springs but haven't started that yet. I'm going to do some work to the coupe body first and get it set on the frame. Rearend will by an 8" from a 76 Maverick that was a 6 cyl. Going to use a 318 and 3 speed manual from a 67 Satellite. Change the front drums to disk, leave drums in the rear. I don't have a hood or fenders so this will be an open wheeled car. Have a grille shell from a 27 Chrysler that will be used on it. Tires on front 195/60/15, on back 235/70/15. No body modifications, but I am planning on changing the rumble lid so it opens for a trunk. Have more room to haul things. Leaning more towards leaving it un-chopped, and I'm not going to channel it.

My overall goal is a good decent looking car. Something that is comfortable to get in and go for a drive. I'm open for any comments, questions, or concerns. Thanks, Erick.