Looking for ideas,on battery box

Started by 48ford, July 15, 2007, 07:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

I want to mount the battery under the front fender on our 46 ford sedan,
I moved it to the trunk when I put in A/C
Now I want to free up trunk space.
I am looking for Ideas for a drop down box.
I have a red top optima battery  in it now.
Any ideas?
Thanks Russ&Irene

UGLY OLDS

Not really a "Drop-Down"  but still easy to get to & service if neccessary...Under the R/F fender on the "Ugly Olds".. (Excuse the dirt..we are DRIVEN  :lol:  :lol:  )....2 Pieces of 1" angle iron bolted to the bottom of the frame rails...A battery tray from the "Seasoned Parts store"..A cover made from the cut-out section of a Walker radiator shroud..( Did I mention we are CHEAP too) :?:  :?:  :roll:  :roll:  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

On my 53 chevy, I mounted it in the inner fender under the hood.
TEAM SMART

Dave

Ive used the drop down stainless ones before on a buddys car and i like it. I just saw on on egay.... no bidders and a decent price . I just didnt put it on my watch list as im gonna do the plastic box in the trunk again.
Dave

donsrods

I sort of did mine like Ugly Olds.  Not drop down, but accessible.  Just used some 1 x 1 angle iron and some flat stock.  Have a space problem, so used the smallest Odyssey battery made.

Don

phat46

Remember, the Optima can be mounted sideways, or even upside down, something to consider when you build the  box. You may be able to mount it so that you can detach the cables without taking the battery out. I have one mounted upside down under the back of my '46 truck that I can reach under and take off the cables. The box, actually a rack is a better word, is hindged at one end so if i need to remove the battery it can be swung down and slid out.

48ford

Thanks for the ideas and snap shots.
Some time you can't see the forest for the trees.
I just need to move the stone shield(don't want to eliminate it)and I think I can get to the battery by turning the wheels all the way and I can get behind it.
thanks Russ&Irene