Got Good News

Started by Leon, July 03, 2007, 10:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

I just got a call from the machine shop and the 5.0 block that I'll be using for the 66 Mustang is in great shape.  It has 125K on the car and the walls have .001 wear, piston to wall clearance still within spec, and the crank is good also, so it looks like a re-ring and new bearings.  One thing funny is that it has TRW forged pistons.  The engine lived on synthetic all its life, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but this is probably the cleanest engine I've ever taken apart.  Almost makes me think that it isn't the original block.  It had all the typical leaks from dried-out gaskets, but almost no wear.  Roller cam and lifters are like new, pushrods showing some wear.  I got the whole car (90 Lincoln LSC with the 5.0 HO) for $500 because the OD band was gone.  Got the parts on order to rebuild the AOD (and upgrading a few internals).  Keeping the whole fuel injection setup, going to transplant the whole thing into the 66 Mustang.  Already built the new tranny crossmember, fit the headers, measured for the driveshaft shortening, before tearing the thing down for rebuild.  Hope to have the car on Power Tour next year, it should get better mileage than I got this year.

EMSjunkie

Cool 8)

I like it when things work out "as planned" :-o

which is very rare around my shop :oops:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****