Even MORE C-6 questions

Started by phat46, July 02, 2007, 04:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I have a line on a C-6 trans to replace the one that I can't get to work. Problem is it's quite a distance away and the guy that's selling it doesn't know much about it, and neither do I. He says it came off a '68 390 truck. I assume it would be a C-6 on that? He also says it has the "short" tailshaft. I don't know about Fords as far as short and long tails shafts. I Think mine has a long tailshaft, it measures 14 1/4" long. The guy is going to make some measurements when he gets off work tonight to see if we're on the same page. Any info relating to this would be helpful!   :?

junkyardjeff

The 72 on back truck C-6 with the short tail shaft is not set up for a slip yoke like the cars,the yoke it has is like on the rear end. It will work for internal parts.  Jeff

Crosley.In.AZ

Could be a cast iron cruise-O tranny too.  Ford used the cruise-O way too long IMHO.

Ask the fellow if the bell housing bolts on (Crusie-O)  or is a one piece main case(C-6).

Short tail would be a bolt on yoke as mentioned.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

If it's behind a 360,390, it won't fit a 429. One from a 351M,400 will though.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"If it's behind a 360,390, it won't fit a 429. One from a 351M,400 will though.

Thanks Frank, it was a short tailshaft anyway.
I placed a wanted ad in the classifieds if anyone has one....