HF spray gun 38308 vs 43430 and irrational fear of painting

Started by 48builder, June 15, 2007, 12:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I have a Harbor Frieght 38308 gun I bought a long time ago based on Sumner's recommendation. I guess it is supposed to be better than the newer gun that replaced it. It has sat in the box since I bought it. I am finally at the point where I need to use it. I am going to paint the interior of my '48 with a paint called Zero Rust

I have Sumber's tech sheet for using that type of gun. I'm just a little apprehensive about getting into it. I have not used a spray gun in 18 years since I painted my '39. I'm sure it will go well. I was just wondering if you guys had any tips or advice for using this gun in addition to what is on Sum's web site.

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

WZ JUNK

I would like to know more about the material that you are going to be spraying.  The gun is great but I do not know how it will spray what you have planned for it.  Is this product meant to be applied with a spray gun?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

ragdol

I spray a lot of the Zero Rust. I thin it 15 to 20% with acrilic enamel thinner. I use the satin black on frames & other black chassis parts. I also use acrilic enamel hardner in it. 1 ounce to 8 ounces of uncut paint. The hardner brings the gloss up a little, but is still an excellent looking chassis black. Zero Rust gives excellent rust protection, can be shot over rust, but does not have UV protection so it will chalk like most enamels when exposed to the sun over the years. It isn't meant to be top coated, but I have sucessfully done so by scuffing it & sealing it with epoxy primer. Larry.

ragdol

Zero Rust is also cheaper & easier to apply than Por-15. Larry.

48builder

Quote from: "ragdol"Zero Rust is also cheaper & easier to apply than Por-15. Larry.

I sprayed the ZR on Saturday. It went on great. Looks very nice. It certainly is much easier to use than POR15. I thinned it with laquer thinner, and put on two covering coats. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver