Mo' better flo" question...

Started by Rayvyn, May 25, 2007, 09:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvyn

Is it advisable to paint a radiator? I want to touch up the front of it with a can of gloss black spray paint. Will this hurt the radiator or cause blockage in the fins and possibly limiting the cooling?
Never had the need to paint one before, that's why I thought I'd better ask... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Charlie Chops 1940

Bryan,

Go for it. That said, someone will probably tell you exactly how much loss of cooling you will experience. I been painting them will Krylon semi-gloss black for many years and  don't believe there is any significant degadation in cooling.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

river1

as long as you don't put it on too thick, i think the negligible loss (if any) in cooling will be offset by the properties of black being able to release heat faster.

that said, has anyone ever anodized an aluminum radiator?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

EMSjunkie

I think you would be safe.
every time I have ever had one repaired, it came back with a shiny new coat of paint. :-o

get yer rattle can out and go to town Bro. 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

Go for it but only use "rattle can paint " & dont load it up...The paint used by radiator shops is very thin & watery...Much like the "chassis black" used by the OEMS...Its more for "visual effect" than protection.....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Seems like I've seen paint specifically designed for rads advertised.....Eastwood,I think. I agree with the above....the difference between the "Special" paint and regular "Bomb Can Paint" is probably negligible.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

kb426

In the 60's, I worked in a body/radiator shop after school. I was always told that you had to use the special radiator paint or it could lead to overheating. Every brass radiator I've owned has had black paint from the factory. I personally can't verify is there's anything to this. I did have a friend who took his radiator to a shop when he had problems and they said it had the wrong paint on it. They boiled it and it came back with black paint. ???
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Radiator paint has a bituminous base, and is very thin. as long as you don't put a lot of coats of regular paint on, it shouldn't be a problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

CQQL33

It is O.K. to paint the radiator BLACK.   Black actually radiates heat better than any other color (provided the ambiant temperature is lower than painted object).    I have the finned portion of my aluminum radiator painted flat black and have been driving this way for 10 years without any concerns.    In fact, I believe it adds the cooling process.    The radiator is mounted in my 33 Ford coupe and did not look right before I painted it.   As mentioned, do not lay down a heavy coat, thin the paint and it will work.  :D  :D

ProEnfo

Quote from: "river1"has anyone ever anodized an aluminum radiator?

later jim

I have a friend that anodized his on a car with an open engine bay, the anodizing exposed to direct sunlight faded/weathered  much like an exposed AN fitting does after a couple of years..

CC