Slow to operate fuel gauge

Started by Beck, May 19, 2007, 11:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I had my coupe out for the 1st time this year. When I filled the fuel tank and got back in the car I saw the fuel gauge wasn't going up. I was headed to a cruise so I continued on. A few miles later I saw the gauge was going up. After driving about 12 miles it was at the right reading. As I burned off fuel it was coming down, so it's working just super slow.
This gauge couldn't have that much dampening built into it could it? My gauges are Autometer if that matters. Any thoughts on the problem and how to fix it. It is a pain to remove the gauges and to get the tank out to pull the sender. May be it will fix itself, but I won't hold my breath.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Beck"I had my coupe out for the 1st time this year. When I filled the fuel tank and got back in the car I saw the fuel gauge wasn't going up. I was headed to a cruise so I continued on. A few miles later I saw the gauge was going up. After driving about 12 miles it was at the right reading. As I burned off fuel it was coming down, so it's working just super slow.
This gauge couldn't have that much dampening built into it could it? My gauges are Autometer if that matters. Any thoughts on the problem and how to fix it. It is a pain to remove the gauges and to get the tank out to pull the sender. May be it will fix itself, but I won't hold my breath.

Make sure the ground on the fuel tank did not deteriorate over the winter....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****