Q-jet/edelbrock jet interchange question

Started by tomslik, May 24, 2007, 12:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

does anybody know if the jet sizes are the same?
need a pair of 70's for a q-jet and need to know if edelbrock .070's are the same...
anybody know for sure?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

tomslik

enjenjo

Never tried them, so I don't know. I do know quadrajet jets are different than 2GC jets, even though they will fit.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"nobody? :-o

Well now that you have me by the right name I'll respond  8) .

Is you question about any edelbrock jets or just the ones for their q-jet replacement carbs???

I'll check my collection of jets for Q-jets and see if I might have some 70's or something close.  I know there is different rods for different years (but I've mixed those by mistake and they still worked), but I think it doesn't matter what year the jets come from.  Hope that is right as I pull the jets out of q-jets I have and don't keep track of the year they came from.

Back to you later,

Sum

tomslik

don't need 'em right now but 85ish chevy pu's run too rich up here(emmisions) and gm can't/won't get 'em anymore.
yhat's why i'm looking other options.
sum, if you've got a pair of 69's or 70's, shoot me a pm...

GPster

Quote from: "tomslik"don't need 'em right now but 85ish chevy pu's run too rich up here(emmisions) and gm can't/won't get 'em anymore.
Is that one of those computor-controlled quadrajets?. When I started out on this V6 deal for the Jeepster I bought on from Ebay before I had any idea what I was doing. The whole thing could be headed your way If I knew where to send it. My mother, brother and sister-in-law are driving here to visit in September from Lakewood. I'd give it to them to take back  but with gas prices I'd expect you'd like to take care of that rich condition before then. Sumner's answer brought back some memories. Had a buddy running a SCCA Corvette in the '70s and he used to do some fine tuning on the stock carb by chucking the metering rods in his drillpress and triming them with a file. Maybe some fatter metering rods in the jets would do the same as smaller jets? GPster

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"don't need 'em right now but 85ish chevy pu's run too rich up here(emmisions) and gm can't/won't get 'em anymore.

I have a set of 70's and 71's.  Looks like I have 67's in the truck now and have had 71's in it before from my notes.  PM me an address and let me know which set you want.  I would like to keep one or the other, but it doesn't make any difference to me.  I also have 2 sets of 75's.

Like Joe mentioned you can also mess with the rods.  I've done that.  I also have a pretty good O2 sensor and gauge that is on the truck all the time and a real good LM-1 wide band sensor and gauge that I stick on it when I make a change.

You guys that hate Q-jets please before you toss them at least pull the jets and the primary and secondary rods out of them and keep them or send them to someone like me.

I hope by this time next year I have MegaSquirt EFI on the truck, but I said that last year also  :cry: .  I hope to get a little better mileage than the q-jet, but don't expect much.  It is more of an exercise in learning how to do it since I'll for sure need it when I put a turbo motor in the truck.

c ya,

Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "GPster"
Is that one of those computor-controlled quadrajets?. When I started out on this V6 deal for the Jeepster I bought on from Ebay before I had any idea what I was doing. The whole thing could be headed your way If I knew where to send it. My mother, brother and sister-in-law are driving here to visit in September from Lakewood. I'd give it to them to take back  but with gas prices I'd expect you'd like to take care of that rich condition before then. Sumner's answer brought back some memories. Had a buddy running a SCCA Corvette in the '70s and he used to do some fine tuning on the stock carb by chucking the metering rods in his drillpress and triming them with a file. Maybe some fatter metering rods in the jets would do the same as smaller jets? GPster

gpster, it's not so much a running rich problem as an emission problem(btw, customers cars, not mine)
...and 'puter controlled carbs are not really rejetable, not conventionally, anyway.. so, no, i don't need it but thanks for the offer.

i aready had to scrounge up some needles the fix the one from the other day, thats why i'm looking at other options.

sum, i don't need the jets right now but is there any way you could measure the #70's?
that's really all i need to know...

i'll be glad when there ain't no mo' * carbs..... :shock:  :lol:

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"

sum, i don't need the jets right now but is there any way you could measure the #70's?

What do you want me to measure???

Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Sum
err, the hole in the middle.... :wink:

1FATGMC

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Sum
err, the hole in the middle.... :wink:

They appear to be what they say they are.  Using some numbered bits and a caliper a .069 to .070 bit fits in the #71.

c ya,

Sum

tomslik