Carb Adjustment, idling fast, not happy with solution, Help

Started by msuguydon, May 07, 2007, 08:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Here goes.

My car has been idling fast, way too fast.

Took it out to my car mentor.  His diagnose, weak spring (Black spring) on throttle cable is not pushing (big throttle thingy) over enough to move the peg beyond the moon shaped (choke thingy) to allow the choke to stop/close.  Sorry to be so technical  :oops:

His solution, add a helper spring...  SO being the stud, car, fabricator that I am  :lol:  :roll:  I fabed a little helper spring (shiny spring).  It fixes the problem.

This solution is not elegant at ALL,  is there a better way?

Can I adjust this plate over and compress the spring more, giving it more ummph?

Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Dave

Yes there is a better and cleaner way.. They make a dual return spring kit. Comes with a bracket for the intake and  the springs. One spring inside the other.. Humm .. try summit or jegs but there are others..
Peace
Dave........ :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

Rayvyn

Quote from: "jusjunk"Yes there is a better and cleaner way.. They make a dual return spring kit. Comes with a bracket for the intake and  the springs. One spring inside the other.. Humm .. try summit or jegs but there are others..
Peace
Dave........ :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts stock them in their performance aisle where all the chrome air cleaners and doo-dads are; you know, the stuff all those gold chainers buy when they want to "purty up" their hot rods before they load them on the trailers... :P  :P  :P  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Carnut

Not sure what solution you are referring to as 'not elegant' but the spring on from the carb linkage to the front of the manifold is pretty much the standard way of doing it.

In the last pic it appears that you are referring to a spring on the thottle cable as what you want to beef up, well, I don't think that is the way to go.

As the others have suggested the spring you added can be replaced with a readily available dual spring and do the whole job as well as a chome or billet bracket can be purchased to pretty up the manifold attachment if you wish.

Here's my solution as inelegant as it may be.

msuguydon

A couple of things....  

Carnut - A few words of explantation, I am not implying that the helper spring is a "bad" fix or unsightly.  In my day job I work in the field of new product development and we use the term non-elegant when we have a solution that has lots of pieces /parts or appears can be done in a less cumbersome manner.  

I have not really paid attention to other cars, in terms of where they do or do not have springs on the carbs.  The manner in which I have connected the helper spring may be very usual and normal and I just have never noticed?  Thats why I was asking the question.  

Duel Spring Thing - I am confused about this, would it replace the existing "weak spring" or is this an add on?  If I went to the auto store would they refer to it as a "Dual Spring, Throttle Sping"???  What should I ask for?

Is it this thing?

http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP2159/store,/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm

Thanks Again

enjenjo

Yes, that's it. You have defined inelegant, how about redundancy? If the primary spring fails, the secondary spring will still work.

I don't want to shock you, but that is a Ford throttle cable. :shock: The cable spring can be adjusted as long as the throttle will still open and close properly.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

msuguydon

Quote from: "enjenjo"
I don't want to shock you, but that is a Ford throttle cable. :shock: The cable spring can be adjusted as long as the throttle will still open and close properly.

OHHHHH MYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOD  I have been Violated !!  :lol:  :lol:

Frank, I am asking, by adjusting you mean shfiting that stopper plate over a bit, too compress the current spring?

C9

Surround it with stuff . . . that way nobody notices it. :lol:

Any chance lubricating the throttle cable would do the trick?

We used Dri-Slide on our dirt bike throttle, clutch and brake cables.
Good stuff.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

QuoteFrank, I am asking, by adjusting you mean shfiting that stopper plate over a bit, too compress the current spring?

Yes, as long as it doesn't change the relationship of the cable to the carb.

msuguydon

QuoteFrank, I am asking, by adjusting you mean shfiting that stopper plate over a bit, too compress the current spring?

Meaning what?  If I move it over, the cable will not open the carb, or keep it open?

enjenjo

Quote from: "msuguydon"

Meaning what?  If I move it over, the cable will not open the carb, or keep it open?

If compressing the spring more moves the cable forward, you may not be able to get full throttle. Of course, it may be too far back right now, which won't let it idle properly. Without being there to see it, I can't be sure what the effect will be.

Sean

Mine go in the opposite direction of yours, but here's the dual spring set-up in use....

Pep

If the original spring is also meant to pull the accelerator pedal back as well, then the solution would be to put a snail spring on the pedal. The weight of the pedal being removed will help a lot.
See Ya
Pep