flat sided tires?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, May 12, 2007, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I drove my Dodge 1961 lancer to work this past week.  something I seldom do is drive the car at freeway speeds for any length.

the front end / steering wheel was shaking a good amount above 65 mph. the shake is  not something the car would do normally, it was fairly smooth.

I learned today the tires are flat spotted from sitting too much too long.  the tires are comp t/a , about 6 yrs old , mayb 2000 miles on them.

when it hits 110 here I will make a few runs at 80 mph to see if they regain a bit more of roundness.

my tire guy told me the tires have 2-3 flat spots each and there is litle hope for the tires to smooth out much like the old daze when nylon corded tires would flat spot over night (cool off)

:evil:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

My car does that when it sets all winter, usually smooths out in a couple hundred miles.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

There used to be a tire shop in my area that had a tire lathe, and could true up out of round tires.  He went out of business, the the lathe looked pretty well used up at the auction.  Too bad, but I think they make tires better now than they used to.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

donsrods

I bought an '84 Crown Vic off an old lady about 4 years ago, it had 50,000 miles on it, and hadn't moved from her garage in 4 years.  The car was mint, and had brand new tires on it.  Well, they WERE brand new 4 years previous to that, but she bought the tires and drove straight home and parked the car for those 4 long years.

When I got it running (tank was rusty, etc) the thing drove like it had bricks for tires.  Shook the heck out of me.  I drove it for a year, hoping the flat spots would round out, they never did.  Finally broke down and bought 4 new tires, and problem went away.

I think once they take a set they are done.

Don

Carnut

Guess it must depend on the type of tires, I've let several of my cars sit for 2 or more years and then started them up and driven them and never noticed any problem with the tires.

Just bought a new Odyssey battery for my 67 Dodge Charger a couple of weeks ago and got he Charger out for the first time in 2 years. Tires seemed to be fine at highway speeds.

Heck, if anything I've got to worry about age of tires, the tires on both my 67 Charger and my 61 Chrysler are close to 15yrs old and the tires on the back of my 40 are probably near 25yrs old.

Even my 'new car' the 02 PT Cruiser has 6yr old T/A's on it.

donsrods

How do you like the Odyssey battery?  I have one sitting to go into my T.

Don

Carnut

Quote from: "donsrods"How do you like the Odyssey battery?  I have one sitting to go into my T.

Don

Heh, heh, for a two week old battery, it's doing well.

Not real sure if it's worth the $227 I paid for it, guess time will tell.

It was the pc1500DT model with both sets of terminals.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Carnut"
Heck, if anything I've got to worry about age of tires, the tires on both my 67 Charger and my 61 Chrysler are close to 15yrs old and the tires on the back of my 40 are probably near 25yrs old.

Even my 'new car' the 02 PT Cruiser has 6yr old T/A's on it.

My 61 Morris Minor tyres are quite old... with 9 or 29 pounds of air pressure they look the same.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)