Help with Covering Door Panel, Vinyl

Started by msuguydon, May 02, 2007, 05:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Since I got my car in the fall I have been talking on and off with different upholstery shops about doing door panels for my car.

Now that I have had the car for a bit and gaining some confidence in working on it, I think I would like to try and make my own door panels. The wife is a pretty good seamstress and she is willing to help.

I have read the Tech articles and done a little research and we think we can handle this.  For Christmas I recieved repop door panels, I need to get them covered and installed.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me get the correct type and color of vinyl. Or at least point me in the direction of where I can it buy it on the internet or locally.

My situation is this, when I bought the car the seats had already been installed, after hounding the previous owner for a bit I finally got the name of the upholstery shop he used but they seem to be out of business, so I have no way of knowing what brand or exact color of vinyl they used.

I am guessing that some of you may have access to sample books, if I can cut some small pieces from under the seat and mailed them to you, would you be willing and able to match colors and vinyl for me.

Also want to ask you all some basic questions before we make the final decision to move forward, things like do all the little seams have to be sewn in or does the vinyl come that way? Suggestion on working the current color pattern into the doors of doing something complimentary.

Anyone game?

Thanks

Don Gould
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

UGLY OLDS

Don...The seams have to be sewn in...These are a few of the material suppliers I have used...Study the web sites to gain knlowledge before making a decision..Keep in mind, any time you start sewing vinyl..Naugahyde ...foam ..etc .. it sometimes take more than the average "home sewing machine" ...I would hate to see your wife ruin the family Singer & get you trouble........Hope it helps...Bv  :D

http://www.larrydennis.com/automotive/default.asp

http://www.atrim.com/index.html
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

sirstude

The seams are done using what they call topstich, which means pretty much what it says.  Tuck and roll is sewn from the back.  You have now heard pretty much my total knowledge on the subject at this time.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

What you are asking Don, takes a book to cover, and there are several out there. In some areas, you can rent commercial sewing machines.

The type of panel you want will have three layers, the vinyl, the padding, and a backer. This can be sewn up, and glued to the door panel.

As far as matching what you have, you can send a sample to suppliers, and they will try to match it.

I would advise getting a book, it will be money well spent.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Hello;
Yes, try www.yourautotrim.com. These guys have everything at super prices. They will send you samples and work with what you want.
Check them out!
I have the video from rod doors which shows how to make door pannels from abs plastic, check them out but the prices will kind of scare you.

Bruce

EMSjunkie

I have a couple Sid Chavers VHS tapes, one is door panels 8)

if you can find one of yer eldery relatives that still has a VHS player, I'd be more than happy to send 'em yer way :D

they were given to me from a fellow RRT'er, and if I can "pay it forward", then maybe one day you can "pay it forward".

just lemme know Captain :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

msuguydon

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"I have a couple Sid Chavers VHS tapes, one is door panels 8)

if you can find one of yer eldery relatives that still has a VHS player, I'd be more than happy to send 'em yer way :D

they were given to me from a fellow RRT'er, and if I can "pay it forward", then maybe one day you can "pay it forward".

just lemme know Captain :wink:

Vance

Vance,

I do have a vhs machine, just have to dig it out and connect it.  I would love to get my hands on those tapes, I will pay for shipping.  I will PM you and we can work out the details.

THAT IS ALL - The Captain
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart