Headlights for '37 ford

Started by sal37, April 19, 2007, 06:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sal37

Does any one have any recommendations for a headlight kit for '37 fords - passanger cars.  I want to use halogen bulbs/or sealed beams and my orginal buckets and would prefer not to spend big $...s but good lighting at night is a huge plus.  Bob Drake and Julianos have them - anyone use them any comments/problems??

Steve

Dave

Quote from: "sal37"Does any one have any recommendations for a headlight kit for '37 fords - passanger cars.  I want to use halogen bulbs/or sealed beams and my orginal buckets and would prefer not to spend big $...s but good lighting at night is a huge plus.  Bob Drake and Julianos have them - anyone use them any comments/problems??

Steve

Pm 348tripower he has a 37 and im sure he did the conversion..
Dave

Pep

Yeah Steve...I have used the Julianos conversion which uses the Hella sealed beams. I also used their front pollycarbonate lens and blanking plate. All works fine and I'm pleased with their brightness. Only thing I would change is the indicator lens. I would go the clear lens with the orange bulbs ( which I will change later on any how )
See Ya
Pep

Hi Steve! Got my kit from Drake....Think it was $65....it contained the reflectors,sockets/pigtails and halogen bulbs.I then mounted my turn signals to the reflector at the bottom.....lights were great at night!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

40_Tudor

Here's a place that has some nice QUARTZ HALOGEN headlight assemblies for early Fords.
I'm looking at them for my 40.

http://www.ozarkearlyfordparts.com/id8.htm

btrc

I originally used the Drake halogen kit but with the Julianos lenses.  It looked great but was basically a very bright spot light.  Last summer I went to the sealed beam halogens behind the same Julianos lenses and it is much better.  If you use the Drake kit I feel you must use the stock style lenses.

Bob
Bob

Pep

Yeah Bob...you need the stock lens to focus the beam. With the sealed beam, the lens on the sealed beam does the focusing. Added benfit is you can adjust the height and angle with the sealed beam. Stock, you can't. You can't use the stock lens with the sealed beam cause the light will lose its focus when it passes through the lens. Only option is a clear lens when you use a sealed beam.
See Ya
Pep

sal37

Thanks Pep you kind of answered my next question before I asked it!!  Where did you buy the julianos kit?? - Is the light output from the sealed beams more/better than the bulbs??  Was the ability to move/focus the main reason for going for the sealed beams?? Is there and difference between sealed beams for LHD and RHD cars - especially direction/movement of headlight beam from low to high beam or can the adjustments take care of this??
Thanks
Steve

I really like the look of the clear lens on a smoothed car but they look out of place on a retro-look car.I agree completely,if you are planning to use the stock lenses,a sealed beam doesn't work real well and the halogen bulbs don't work at all with the clear lens as Bob said above.I like the stock lens for the fact that it nearly hides the turn signal.I had no trouble adjusting my headlights with the stock adjusters.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

sal37

Thanks Daryle, I'm after the retro look and was concerned about the clear lens but seeing in the dark is important.  I'm inclined to go with the Drake kit as I have a couple of sets of headlight lenses in great condition and it seems a pity to have to sell them.
Steve