Kill Switch

Started by freddrew, April 24, 2007, 04:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddrew

With a Kill Switch installed in the system, a radio/CD player loses the station settings everytime the system is shut down.  The memory wire is shut down with everything else.  A wire can be run from the power side of the Kill switch to the radio memory wire of the radio to maintain the stations.  Both of the radio wires for power and memory have separate fuses.  

What would happen to the radio if I forgot to turn the system on with the Kill switch and tried to start the car?  Would the current from the memory wire try to go through the Ignition switch to the starter and burn out the radio?  

Fred Drew
Fred

Leon

The memory wire is a separate circuit.  I have mine powered by a separate fuse like you want to do and it doesn't hurt anything else.  I have 3 things hooked to that line, the radio memory, alarm, and the dash clock.

Dave

Quote from: "freddrew"With a Kill Switch installed in the system, a radio/CD player loses the station settings everytime the system is shut down.  The memory wire is shut down with everything else.  A wire can be run from the power side of the Kill switch to the radio memory wire of the radio to maintain the stations.  Both of the radio wires for power and memory have separate fuses.  

What would happen to the radio if I forgot to turn the system on with the Kill switch and tried to start the car?  Would the current from the memory wire try to go through the Ignition switch to the starter and burn out the radio?  

Fred Drew

I dont think so.. The only thing the memory wire is powering is the memory. I just cant see it trying to feed the starter.  Also your feeding directly from the battery no power to the starter circuit when you turn the key with the switch off so nuttin is gonna happen cept  you still got your radio memories but you cant listen to the radio till you throw the switch!
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

phat46

Fred Drew[/quote]

Fred, if ya run another "memory' wire to the nut holding the steering wheel you won't forget to turn the kill switch back on!!!   :lol: Stop by next time you're on this side and I'll give you a ride in the old truck! You better bring the heart meds!  :shock:

enjenjo

Watson's has a Swich that has a built in safety for the radio memory. To be honest, with a low amp fuse in the circuit, it should not be a problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

I've been running a battery kill switch plus a wire off the battery for station memory for 10 years. It's not a problem and no you can't hurt anything if you try to start it before turning the kill switch back on, it can't backfeed.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Carps

Radio memory and security systems wired separately..... no problem and nothing to worry about at all.

If you're really worried about it, you can do what some car makers do and run a separate small battery to power security and radio memories etc.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

freddrew

Yes Phat 46, I deserve that.  I will be over sometime. I want to see the rat rod again.  

Fred Drew
Fred