47 Ford door glass

Started by papastoyss, April 16, 2007, 06:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

I would like to can vent windows& change to 1 pc door glass in my 47 Ford coupe. The top hinge bracket inside door has a flange that points out & will have to be trimed flush to make room for glass to travel by it. Has anybody out there done this & will that make enough space for glass to travel up & down? I'm going to have to cut a window out of the inside of the door to get to this flange and it looks like it will be real close if it works at all.These are stock door hinges. THANKS
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

alchevy

I would like to do that on my '40 Chevy, but a friend of mine pointed out to me that the door on my car has a bend in it where the vent window meets the door window. It's not a straight channel for the glass to be one piece.
AL
It was good to meet you for a short visit after the show on Sunday.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

48ford

I mover my ford today and looked at the door and glass,now the door panle is on so I didn't look inside,but it looks like the window crank will be in the way,as it is under where the vent window is now.
But anything can be done,just have to work at it.
Russ

Kctom

Quote from: "papastoyss"I would like to can vent windows& change to 1 pc door glass in my 47 Ford coupe. The top hinge bracket inside door has a flange that points out & will have to be trimed flush to make room for glass to travel by it. Has anybody out there done this & will that make enough space for glass to travel up & down? I'm going to have to cut a window out of the inside of the door to get to this flange and it looks like it will be real close if it works at all.These are stock door hinges. THANKS

Did that last week to my 47 ford coupe. Had to trim a little off the flange to make it work. When you have the glass cut be sure you have the bottom edge a couple inches below the bottom of the sill. If not the bottom glass retainer will hit  the bottom of the door window sill before the window is all the way up. Second do not put alot of radius on the front bottom of the glass. The straighter in the front the better. It needs this straight area to guide the front of the glass. Be sure you power window vertical arm is mounted about a inch foreward of the center of the door. If not the window will rock foreward as it goes up and will jump out of the track.Need a little more window wieght in the rear so it goes up straight. Any questions ? you can pm me and I'll give you my number and we can talk about this.
TOM

papastoyss

Many thanks kctom1 , there isn't much space to spare & I didn't want to cut an access window in the door for nothing & then weld it back up.I drove this car all last year and am tired of wind and water leaks from vent windows. Even with Drake vent seals.

papastoyss

Quote from: "40chevy"I would like to do that on my '40 Chevy, but a friend of mine pointed out to me that the door on my car has a bend in it where the vent window meets the door window. It's not a straight channel for the glass to be one piece.
AL
It was good to meet you for a short visit after the show on Sunday.
40 chevy I was with the burgandy 40 chevy parked a few cars away from you but we kept walking all morning to stay warm. We enjoyed all we could stand & left at noon. That car has 1 pc door glass but he had to also go to suicide door hinges due to the hinge pocket in door.interfering with glass travel.  He welded strips in top of door & garnish molding to remove curve for vent glass.Did you take a photo of the Nash Metropolitan? My friend Alan Cole built the entire car chassis included in his home shop. It originaly had a small block but it wasn't fast enough so he bought a crate 572 but its only the 620 hp version!!

alchevy

I saw the Nash Metropolitan once and I had my camera with me, but didn't start taking pictures because it started raining, so I put the camera up and ate lunch inside the building. Took my pictures after lunch. The '40 Chevy you were with was a sedan, right? I think I saw it when I came in. there was a maroon '40 Chevy Coupe on the other side of my car.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com