57 Chevy light switch problems

Started by BFS57, March 21, 2007, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
I am having this problem for the second time! First time, I don't know what I did to fix it!
Just re-wired my car (EZ Harness) Put in a new light switch because the dash & tail lights were hot wired to the ignition, so someone had this problem before me. Anyway, everything was working perfect until I got in yesterday to go to work and no dash lights or tail lights. Got home last night and "fiddled" around but couldn't get any results. I did check the rear license light and it had a ton of water inside it, so I took it apart and dried it out and re-assembled it, still nothing. I have headlights, front park lights, inside lights, but no dash or tail lights.
My question is, as I can't seem to find a fuse other than the headlights, which work, is there a circuit breaker built in to the light switch? Is there a way to re-set it? Anyone have this problem? HELP!

Bruce

Rochie

BFS57,
there is a fuse on the top of an original headlight switch, but I doubt that is the cause of no tailights or dash lights.  There is a fuse that "should" be supplying the dash and tailights on the fuse panel. Check it out with a test light.
Wayne

GPster

I'll complicate this problem. What are you working on? If it's an older car that did not have directional signals. This could be where a problem is. Cars that had directional signals or older ones that have a newer steering column change can get into these problems. To help sort it out. does the license plate light work now? Directional signals (front and rear)? Brake lights? Do any lights work when they're not supposed to? The steering column directional signal switch has power from two places and I've seen a mix-up there around lights and brakes when a change is made. I know I talk to much but sometimes it takes a lot of talk. GPster

GPster

I just went back to the forum and re-read the question. Who's the dumb one now? What's happening with some of the other circuits still might help get an answer. GPster

BFS57

Hello Again;
What mystifies the hell out of me is that the headlights work and the front park lights work so the power is getting to the switch but the dash lights don't work as well as the tail (rear park) lights. Thats why I think it's in the switch itself! Have heard of circuit breaker in a headlight switch.
Of course the switch I installed is a Sorenson and god knows if it is worth squat! Can't seem to find quality switch to install.
This did this to me before and I just fiddled and fiddled checked wires and fuses ect,ect and all of a sudden, the problem went away! Well, it's back!

Bruce

enjenjo

A EZwire harness feeds the power to the tail lights through a seperate circuit. The circuit breaker on the switch is for the headlights only. The tail light power goes from the switch to the tail light fuse. The power for the dash lights tap off there to the dash light fuse. the reason they do this is to give you an indication inside the car when the tail lights are out.

My guess, knowing EZ harnesses, there is a bad crimp on the tail light wiring on the back of the fuse block.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Hello;
try as I may, I have been unable to find a tail light fuse or dash light fuse on the fuse panel! Could they be marked as something else?

Bruce

bowtietillidie

Try the first rule when working on DC electric.
    Check the grounds .   When you are certain you have  
     all grounds made .    CHECK THEM AGAIN  
      Grounds are the leading problem with DC circuits
     :wink:
BOWTIETILLIDIE

GPster

Do you have the ignition switch on? The headlights and taillights are two different circuits. If the head lights were wired through the switch before maybe the taillights still are. Does the gas gauge work? Interior light? You should be able to find a bundle of wires going to the back that has these, 1 from the fuel gauge, 1 from the light switch for the tail lights, 2 from the steering column for left and right signals and brake lights, 1 from somewhere else to power the interior lights and 1 for back-up lights if you have them. Do you have hi/low beams? I know I'm difficult but I'm trying to help. GPster

BFS57

Hello;
Well, I got home last night and tried to attack the problem. I turned on the lights and "everything worked!" (What The?) except the license light.
Now, I'm on to something! The license light is on the same circuit as the tail lights, which are probly going through the light switch on the same circuit as the dash lights. Thus when the license light got wet the other night, it short circuited and I had the problem. I also think there is a sort of circuit breaker built into the switch as there is no provision for fuses for tail lights or dash lights! Everything is fed from the main light switch!
I have found that the 57 Chevy has had this problem right along! Now, I'm trying to figure another tail light connection coming from the hot side of the High /Low floor switch and put a fuse in after the switch on the wire going to the tail lights!
If you all had seen the car's wiring before I re did it you would have thought it was something out of a horror movie!
Anyone had this kind of problem before! What was your cure?

Bruce

reborn55

Originally the dash lights had their own fuse as did the dash and tail light if I remember correctly.  Shop manual is out in the garage.  If the licence plate light shorted out, it should have blown a fuse.  i would look for a loose ground connection air bad wire crimp as stated.  The original headlight switches would cause the problem you are experiencing.  I have had to replace 2 on my 55 in 13 years.  The 55 and 56 had fuses in the switch--not sure on the 57.  You could always bypass the license light and see if it cures the problem, There has got to be a fuse somewhere for that circuit.

Fat Cat

Which EZ Wir harness do you have? 18 Circuit? 21? Mini Fuse?

BFS57

Hello;
I have the 21 Circuit model from EZ. The harness and all seems to be just fine. The headlight power going to the switch is just fine (only circuit w/fuse going to the headlights) The headlights and front park lights work just fine. Even the tail lights and inst. lights worked just after I repaired my lic. light (for a short time) Now, nothing (rear park,lic. & dash).
When going over the install manual (guide) for the harness, it shows that the tail lights (rear park) also feed the lic. light. and the dash lights all come direct from the switch, a fact confirmed with a phone call to EZ. Lucky for me, I have another light switch. I did some continuity testing and found a contact point on the inside of the switch coming from the main power fed to ? (I don't know but I am suspicious that this contact feeds the tail or possibly the dash lights or both and might have been fried in my present switch).
I am planning on tearing out the dash soon for the dreaded wiper install (update) and I will replace the switch at that time.
I  have placed a fuse in the trunk area on the license light and if that gets wet again, the fuse will blow (I hope) and will keep the rest of the circuit going. If the problem is the switch, I'm going to solder a wire coming from the main power and the contact point and install a fuse here on the side of the switch that can be replaced.
As far as the harness as a whole goes, I am liking the fact that all things electric in my car are working way better since I installed it.

Bruce