Can somebody help with cutting torch selection?

Started by 48builder, March 19, 2007, 12:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

All of the years I have been messing with cars, I never got a set of cutting torches. I've always hadd access to friends with a set, but lately I am getting tired of waiting and relying on somebody else. So, I started looking for a set. I don't need a big set of tanks, and I won't be cutting or welding anything really heavy.

I know the two big names Victor and Harris, but don't know which is better and why. I also see a lot of knock-offs being sold as "Victor type" and "Harris type". Much cheaper, but don't know if I want a cheapo set of something that flames come out of.

I've seen the sets that come with the small bottles and a plastic carrying case and it seems like that might work fine for me.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

sirstude

I have had a Victor 100 for the last 40+ years.  I actually was one dad bought for his VW agency in 1962.  Still works great, and is nice sized for most uses.  The bottle side, you need to check with the local providers, they all seem to have different rules on what they will fill.  Sometimes they only fill bottles leased from them, and if you buy a set and cannot get it filled, doesn't do you much good.  I have no experience with the Harris stuff.

Doug

ps,  I leased the biggest bottles I could, I think "K" sized, about 4 feet tall and 10 inches in diameter.  I just fill them about every 10 years.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

EMSjunkie

I have both a Victor and a Harris.
I really don't see alot of difference in them.
the Harris seems a little more "touchy" with the adjustments, 'course it might be 'cuz the little knobby things need to be tightened :roll:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

1FATGMC

I have large bottles that I use in the shop and they last years for me, but I got a set of the small bottles that I think you are talking about from my dad's stuff when he passed away.

I've taken them to b'ville the last couple years and we have used them there and emptied them both times.  They don't go very far if you are cutting.  I would stay away from them as your only set.  They weren't cheap to fill either and get bottles locally so you can get them filled, as mentioned above.

If you aren't cutting thicker than 1/4 have you considered a plasma cutter?  I love mine and my gas bottles might never be filled again.  You can get a good one in the 1000 to 1100 range.

c ya,

Sum

enjenjo

Last year, I needed a rosebud torch, and bought a combination  set from Harbor Freight that included one. It cost $119, and they wanted $170 for a rosebud tip to fit my Victor.

I had low expectations, but the entire set has been working good for a year. The only thing I might have a question about is the regulators, but at this point they are working fine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Harris/Victor/Smith, as far as brands i believe it's a chevy/dodge/ford thing, as long as you get a major name you'll be fine. i personally will be going with a smith as they are made in the USA.

as for size unless most of your use will be portable i'd, for a couple of reasons, go for a larger set then the small carry case set. the first being the bigger tanks are cheaper per unit to fill. second the small tanks will usually run out at just the wrong moment. third there will always be the job that you'll want to do but the torch set up will be just too small to do it.

i'm sure others will chime in with more info. let us know which way you went.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

WZ JUNK

I have a Sears brand that I have used for about 30 years.  Only problem was I had one of the regulators repaired.  Nice thing is that I can get parts for my Sears stuff.

Note to Sirstude:  If you have not had your bottle refilled lately, you are in for a surprise.  The price is up considerably.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Bruce Dorsi

Hi, Walt!

I'll throw another brand out as a suggestion.

The Henrob/Dillon torch (pistol grip) is my preference over the more conventional (barrel grip) torch.   ......Several of the RRT guys have them, and they have recommended them in the past.
.....I rarely use my conventional torches anymore.

The Henrob has the bonus of lower gas consumption, and can weld with the best of them.  .....Although I rarely use it for cutting, I have seen a live demo where 3/4" plate was cut with plasma-like precision.
....Its limitations seem to be cutting THICK plate or heating large areas, as is possible with a rosebud.

I, too, prefer a plasma cutter to the torch for cutting.  ...It will cut ferrous as well as non-ferrous.
I have one Miller plasma that will cut up to 3/8" and one Miller plasma that will cut up to 7/8".

I use the Henrob for welding thin material, as I don't have MIG.  ....For heavier welding, I have a stick welder.

As others have said, check what the bottle-filling policy is at your gas supplier.   .....I have several large bottles (which I own) that no one will fill because they are not their bottles.

I can't remember if it is state law here, but the suppliers in this area will only allow you to purchase the small bottles.  ...The larger bottles MUST be leased, which can get costly over the years.

I guess a lot depends on what you are planning on doing with a torch.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

I was in the same boat. Until I bought some large bottles at a bancrupcy auction, complete with Court paper work proving they were mine. No problem getting them filled now.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"I was in the same boat. Until I bought some large bottles at a bancrupcy auction, complete with Court paper work proving they were mine. No problem getting them filled now.

I have bottles from 4 different places now and they are all mine.  I've never had to show any paper work, but did have to pay to get the ones that came from my dad tested as they were way out of date.

c ya,

Sum

donsrods

I have had the same Victor set for years now with no problems, and maybe some areas are different, but I have never had a problem getting my tanks filled.  I just walk in and swap them out.  I have even swapped up from the original small set I had to number 4's now, and only had to pay the difference .

As a side note, I'm sure you guys who have them realize this, but torches get you out of lots of jams and can be very versatile.  My Kid thought torches were old hat and useless until we started bending and shaping stuff with them.  Now I find the torches moved around the shop every once in a while as he uses them to do stuff with them more and more.

I have also freed up stuff that I thought would never come loose.

Don

Leon

Look for two stage regulators instead of single stage.  They are easier to set and keep those settings as the bottles change temp or empty.  The better sets are two stage while some of the Harbor Freight stuff is single.  Be sure to get flashback protectors, these valves are cheap and good insurance.

48builder

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Hi, Walt!

I'll throw another brand out as a suggestion.

The Henrob/Dillon torch (pistol grip) is my preference over the more conventional (barrel grip) torch.   ......Several of the RRT guys have them, and they have recommended them in the past.
.....I rarely use my conventional torches anymore.

Thanks fr the info, guys. I looked at the Henrob, and looks like it might be the way to go. My main use for a torch would probably be cutting and heating, but maybe I would learn how to weld as well.  I'll check with my supplier and see what the rules are for tanks, and go from there.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Beck

If you have your bottles to long before changing them out you will get stuck with the hydrotesting bill. Everyone says they take there bottles to get filled. They are exchanged around here and I assume there also. If you change out the bottles every year or so you will always have bottles that have good hydrotests on them. I'm not sure how often they need testing but it's probably every 5 yr. That's how often breathing air bottles have to be tested. If you have bottles that are out of date you can somethimes slip them through at branch locations of the gas suppliers. There is a body shop local to me that handles exchanges for a large suppler in the area. They never check the dates.
My torch is a tripple beam Cutmaster. It sucks the fuel and oxygen. It will cut or heat anything. It was free to me or I would have purchased a smaller one. I have a Meco Aviator for gas welding. I did that last about 5 years ago. The mig will spoil you. I want a plasma so bad. I have it all picked out, but can't justify $1522.

Leon

I have 5 different bottles and some don't get used as much as the others.  I have had a bottle that was "out of date" and when I turned it in for exchange they told me they regularly check them and the ones that are close or out get put in the pile for testing.  I guess that's the advantage of leasing, I don't have to worry about testing them.  My lease is a 99 year - in other words, I basically bought the bottle, but don't have to maintain it and can upgrade anytime I want by just paying the difference.  A few times I got upgraded because they said the size I had wasn't as common, do I want this bigger one that they keep in stock?  I said yes and got it for free.  I have two Argon because I'm always running out of it on a weekend in the middle of a project so I got a spare.  The other gasses I just keep one of each.