? Removing Rusted Spring Perch Bushings

Started by Bib_Overalls, March 12, 2007, 07:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

Today I scored a pair of 35/36 Ford rear bones with the integral spring perches. The old shackles came off without any real effort. But the bushings inside the perch holes are rusted in place and do not seem to be inclined to budge. In the past I have been able to get them out with a drift. But these puppies are locked in solid. Does anyone have a proven technique for removing the bushing without damaging the perch?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Today I scored a pair of 35/36 Ford rear bones with the integral spring perches. The old shackles came off without any real effort. But the bushings inside the perch holes are rusted in place and do not seem to be inclined to budge. In the past I have been able to get them out with a drift. But these puppies are locked in solid. Does anyone have a proven technique for removing the bushing without damaging the perch?

I just take my hacksaw apart...re-assemble it with the blade going through the bushing ...Saw JUST enough to get a good score line in the bushing sleeve & then peal it out with a cape chisel....DONT saw too far...it's hard to know where the bushing ends & the hanger material starts..
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Another thing that helps, heat a line across the bushing from the inside. That will shrink the bushing, making it easier to remove.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I've seen this done (but it was somebody with better eyes and coordination then me). If you run a weld bead on the inside of the bushing from one end to the other, when the bead cools it will have shrank the bushing enough for removal. I've also seen it done to the race of wheel bearings to get them out of hubs. GPster

donsrods

I just did this very thing today, but on a Model T spring.  I had tried beating it out, no good, so I finally bought a hydraulic press after all these years.  With a couple of different sized sockets I was able to press both out in like 3 minutes.  I think i have found a new favorite tool.

Don

41woodie

In years past my technique for this operation was to carefully select a 1/2" drive extension from my tool box.  Then I get the biggest hammer I can find and wail away until the bushing finally comes out.  Then I take the horribly deformed extension back to sears and tell them that it doesn't work anymore.  I then take my shiny new extension home and put in a place of honor in my toolbox.

Bib_Overalls

I took them over to a friend's shop this evening.  He is one of those guys with every imaginable tool.  So I thought he might have an exotic solution.  His suggestion - try drilling them out.  The bushings have a 3/4" OD.  So we chucked up a 5/8" bit in the cordless and gave it a try.  The bushing material is softer than the Ford forging and even though the bit did run a tad off center it did not cut into the spring perch.  Just before I got all the way through the bushing started to turn and push out.  Same thing with the other one as well.   Turned out to be much ado abut not much at all.  Many thanks for all of your ideas.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks