60 Chevy steering wheel and horn exploding picture

Started by WZ JUNK, March 09, 2007, 06:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I need a picture showing the parts in an exploded view for a 1960 Chevrolet steering wheel.  I am trying to adapt this wheel to an Ididit column.  All I have is a bunch of pieces of the horn assembly and nothing seems to fit or work.  I was brought a bag full of parts and I have not a clue how it originally went together.  So far my search of the net has not been helpful.

I guess if I can figure this out, I could do a tech post.  It is a good looking steering wheel.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

BELLM

John-This is probably of no help except to rule out one source of info, I just dug out my General Motors Shop Manual for 1958 and the supplement that covers 59 & 60, nothing there.  I have an old roadster that is a "someday" project, it has a crapped out 59 or 60 Impala wheel on an F1 column, pulled the center piece out just a big glob of rust with remains of a crumbly plastic ring left.
Going from memory seems like there was a hole in the hub of the wheel where the horn ground contact passed thru.  The center of the hub was bare metal but the edge was plastic and insulated.  A springy metal disc sat down on the bare part of the hub, higher side up, the edge of the metal disc sat on the insulated edge of the bare part of the center of the hub it. A plastic ring with 3 legs went thru 3 holes in the disc & attached to the hub with screws.  There was another round plastic piece that had thicker raised edge that had 3 cutouts that fit into the plastic piece attached with the 3 screws.  When the horn ring was depressed it pushed down one of the sides of the raised ring causing the springy bare metal piece to contact the bare center of the wheel hub.  This completed the horn ground.  Hopefully this is correct. Can't remember how the horn ring attached or whay was attached to it..  Hope this is of some help.

BTW, I wear some of your old clothes occasionally when I want to impress people.  I was the high bidder on the shirts auctioned @ the HAMB drags last year that you and Hooley wore and autographed when you guys ran 236.9 mph at Bonneville last year. :D

BELLM

Jist noticed on the HAMB that choprods is parting out a '60 Chev and has a complete Impala wheel for sale.  Maybe you could talk him into taking a picture.

enjenjo

As I recall John, I used all the horn mechanism from a Chevy van, tilt or non tilt, when I installed an Impala wheel on an Ididit column. I have some here if you need one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "BELLM"John-This is probably of no help except to rule out one source of info, I just dug out my General Motors Shop Manual for 1958 and the supplement that covers 59 & 60, nothing there.  I have an old roadster that is a "someday" project, it has a crapped out 59 or 60 Impala wheel on an F1 column, pulled the center piece out just a big glob of rust with remains of a crumbly plastic ring left.
Going from memory seems like there was a hole in the hub of the wheel where the horn ground contact passed thru.  The center of the hub was bare metal but the edge was plastic and insulated.  A springy metal disc sat down on the bare part of the hub, higher side up, the edge of the metal disc sat on the insulated edge of the bare part of the center of the hub it. A plastic ring with 3 legs went thru 3 holes in the disc & attached to the hub with screws.  There was another round plastic piece that had thicker raised edge that had 3 cutouts that fit into the plastic piece attached with the 3 screws.  When the horn ring was depressed it pushed down one of the sides of the raised ring causing the springy bare metal piece to contact the bare center of the wheel hub.  This completed the horn ground.  Hopefully this is correct. Can't remember how the horn ring attached or whay was attached to it..  Hope this is of some help.

BTW, I wear some of your old clothes occasionally when I want to impress people.  I was the high bidder on the shirts auctioned @ the HAMB drags last year that you and Hooley wore and autographed when you guys ran 236.9 mph at Bonneville last year. :D

Wow, great answer and a very good description.  You have all the parts listed that I have.   I will probably get back on this project monday morning.  What I should have done was take some pictures of what I have.  I will try to do that in a few minuets.  It is 5:30AM and I am leaving soon for a trip today and tomorrow.

Hooley and I wondered who bought the shirts.  We decided we did not want to know what the brought but we wanted to know who bought them.  There should have been a letter that went with them.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "BELLM"Jist noticed on the HAMB that choprods is parting out a '60 Chev and has a complete Impala wheel for sale.  Maybe you could talk him into taking a picture.

I may send him an email.

Here is the picture.  Last year I put an Ididit column in this car.  I had the horn working and everything was fine.  However the turn signals would not cancel correctly.  He call Ididit and they told him that he needed the hole drill at the 10:30 position to rotate the plastic piece that cancels the turn signals.  This is the hole that the plastic tube goes through from the plastic turn signal cam.  It is the part that connects the horn wiring from the column to the steering wheel.  He took it all apart and brought me the steering wheel to have the hole relocated.  I do not know if I have parts missing or what is wrong but I can not get it back together and make it work.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

BELLM

The center of the steering wheel hub where the metal disc fits has to be pretty clean rust-wise to make a good ground.  I turned 59 this year, back when I was a teenager I messed with a lot of these type wheels, they were fairly new then, now I can barely remember how things worked!!

I got the letter with the shirts, I am going to make a plexiglass display box someday and put Hooley's shirt and the letter on display in it in my shop.  I have worn your shirt a couple of times, a real attention getter, especially when I show inquiring minds the signature and inscription on the hem.  I don't remember what I paid for them, wanted at least 1 so kept bidding up on both, ended up with both, you guys definitely made a nice contribution $ wise by donating them, they generated a lot of bids.   I had time to check the auction because I only made 2 passes then parked my coupe.  I won the 2004 raffle engine, had to bring it back full circle in a car and make a pass.  The bone stock C-4 and street gear in the rearend did not Fred's little SBF reach its potential so I just parked it.

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Thanks for all the help.  I got it working.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck