700r4 questions

Started by entodad, March 10, 2007, 03:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

entodad

I'm back with another tranny question.
I built a 700r4 last summer and put it into my 89 silverado.  It worked good and I was satisfied...
last fall the Transmission cooler ruptured in the radiator and filled the tranny with water.  We drained the fluid out as best we could and filled it again with new transmission fluid.
Recently the transmission is acting flaky. It seems to operate ok when it is cool, but is slow to engage in gear when it warms up and seems like it is trying to slip when it is warmed up.
I ran a pressure test on it and with the TV cable on low the pressures look like the book says. But with the TV cable pulled, the pressure in park is about 220 pounds and the needle moves alot....that is the needle bounces back and forth from 200-240 pounds very quickly, almost a vibration like action....
Any Ideas?  

Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Crosley.In.AZ

Water will cause the trans  friction materials to delaminate from the steel backing....

I have taken apart a trans filled with coolant from the eggzack problem you list....... As the wet frictions sat on the bench , the material curled up & off the steel back plate.

The pulse of the pressure at max psi..... is nothing to worry about
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

entodad

Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like I get to pull it out and rebuild it again.  Just what I was hoping to do....
Thanks Crosley,  I had pretty much assumed that I would get to go in the trans again and you confirmed my suspicion.  However it is nice to know that the water is what caused the problem, not my ineptness.....

Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)