Early entry for next tech contest or a late one for the.....

Started by 1FATGMC, March 25, 2007, 12:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I got one of those levelers or whatever they are called to use on the end of the cherry picker when installing motors.  I really like it except it was a pain to hook the chains onto and to get them the right lenght.

I cut four links out of a chain and attached a hook to each and then........

..........put these back on to the leveler.  Now I can attach a chain/chains to the block and simply put a link on the hook at the length I want and it takes just a second to change chain lengths now.

-----------------------------------
This is a two for one post.

While building the lakester or about anything else I'm always using a tape and since it is a large one I really don't like to put it in the pocket in my tool pouch.

I bought a belt type hammer holder and cut the bottom of the loop off that holds your hammer.  Then I welded a piece of strap across where the loop was.  First I had ground the top edge of the strap a little so that the tape slides right on.

I then bolted it to the pouch where it would hang down right where my right hand hangs.  Easy to get off and on.  I'll make a second that I can use on a belt without the pouch for those times I only want the tape.

c ya,

Sum

dragrcr50

Quote from: "1FATGMC"I got one of those levelers or whatever they are called to use on the end of the cherry picker when installing motors.  I really like it except it was a pain to hook the chains onto and to get them the right lenght.

I cut four links out of a chain and attached a hook to each and then........

..........put these back on to the leveler.  Now I can attach a chain/chains to the block and simply put a link on the hook at the length I want and it takes just a second to change chain lengths now.

This is a two for one post.

While building the lakester or about anything else I'm always using a tape and since it is a large one I really don't like to put it in the pocket in my tool pouch.

I bought a belt type hammer holder and cut the bottom of the loop off that holds your hammer.  Then I welded a piece of strap across where the loop was.  First I had ground the top edge of the strap a little so that the tape slides right on.

I then bolted it to the pouch where it would hang down right where my right hand hangs.  Easy to get off and on.  I'll make a second that I can use on a belt without the pouch for those times I only want the tape.

c ya,

Sum

Well that ought to work good, especially like the links on the mtr holder...    guess you made it back ok ,,,, sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

1FATGMC

Quote from: "dragrcr50"Well that ought to work good, especially like the links on the mtr holder...    guess you made it back ok ,,,, sam
Sum

I called you this morning, you were probably sleeping in as it was an early 11 am 8) .  Anyway I need to talk to you about maching some plugs for Hooley's cage on the Stude.  They are for the changes to the cage to add the new tubing to the old like what we talked about when I was there.

It was good visiting with you and Joe,

Sum

flt-blk

I have that same leveler, an air ratched works wonders to level the motor.
Much easier than a wrench.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

dragrcr50

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "dragrcr50"Well that ought to work good, especially like the links on the mtr holder...    guess you made it back ok ,,,, sam
Sum

I called you this morning, you were probably sleeping in as it was an early 11 am 8) .  Anyway I need to talk to you about maching some plugs for Hooley's cage on the Stude.  They are for the changes to the cage to add the new tubing to the old like what we talked about when I was there.

It was good visiting with you and Joe,

Sum
Sum, call me this afternoon or eve ill be in , sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,