How do I cut up an aluminum truck body?

Started by Beck, February 21, 2007, 11:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I bought a P30 Frito truck this week (drove it 550 miles home). I want the drive line out of it. It's a nice truck but I don't have a use for the rest. I was going to cut the body up for scrap aluminum. The local price is between 40 and 73 cents a pound. The body has to be cut up in pieces no larger than 4' x 4' to get the most for the scrap. I don't have a plasma cutter which would probably be the easiest way to cut it up. Does anyone have any sugestions? I can rent a plasma for $65 a day. I could shake myself to death after a few days using a sawsall. They cut aluminum siding with a circular saw with the blade turned backwards, but this is much heavier aluminum than siding. Anybody need an aluminum storage shed on wheels?

Beck

unklian

An oxy-acetylene cutting torch is messy on Aluminum,
but it should work for cutting scrap.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Beck"The local price is between 40 and 73 cents a pound.
I can rent a plasma for $65 a day.

I could shake myself to death after a few days using a sawsall.

They cut aluminum siding with a circular saw with the blade turned backwards, but this is much heavier aluminum than siding.

It sounds like a plasma rental will eat up the value of approx 150 pounds of aluminum after adding additional fees, sales tax, and consumables

If you are just cutting sheet material, a circular-saw with a fine cut (many teeth) carbide-tipped blade should work fine up to about 1/8" sheet thickness. .....A worm-drive saw runs at a slower rpm, has more power, and will generate less heat, so that would be my first choice if you have one available.   .....I wouldn't run the blade reversed though, as you don't care about the quality of cut.  (In heavier material, you could knock the teeth off, since they are not supported by the blade.)  

If you have to cut through supporting structure, the sawzall would probably be best there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

Years ago, when I worked construction, we used to cut up to 1/2" aluminum with a skil saw and a carbide tip blade. now days they make metal cutting blades for skil saws that work very well.

http://hawksawblades.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MD725
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

I could finance the plasma cutter I want with the aluminum. Lets see. I could pay off the $1700 plasma cutter with the $800 worth of scrap aluminum. I don't think my wife will go along with that math. Or I could buy several more trucks at about $2500 each and cut them up with the new plasma and sell them for $800 in scrap. I could even keep the drive trains out of them and try to fit more in my overflowing garage.
Yep, this was another of my stupid ideas! My wife is NOT happy. Just picture the biggest delivery truck Frito has sitting in your driveway. My neighbors are probably not pleased either. How long will it take for the police to come?
We have a worm drive circular saw at work. You think they would mind if I burned it up? Or I could go buy a new one of those too???
Thanks for the help guys.
Beck

Beck

Quote from: "enjenjo"Years ago, when I worked construction, we used to cut up to 1/2" aluminum with a skil saw and a carbide tip blade. now days they make metal cutting blades for skil saws that work very well.
Thanks engenjo! This sounds like the best bet. I'm planning to help my brother-in-law move with the truck before it gets cut up. I'll let you know how it works.
Beck

Dave

Quote from: "Beck"IHow long will it take for the police to come?
Beck

How far is the police station from your house :?:  :lol: Could be soon if they arent on a krispy kreem break.
Dave :arrow:

Hmmmm......Wonder what it would take to build a hitch on that thing and turn it into a job shack/storage trailer??? Ah.....probably about as bright of an idea as buying a few more trucks to pay for the plasma cutter  :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

UGLY OLDS

Sounds crazy ,but use a carbide circular saw blade with wax...Yup..Wax...Comes in a tube about the size of caulk or construction glue...Try a glass supply house or someone that works with aluminum extrusion for store fronts & window frames...Used it for years--makes the little carbide teeth last soooo much longer & helps keep the "magic smoke " in the saw motor.... Also talk to the truck & trailer body shops in your area BEFORE you cut it up....Sheet alum may be worth more to them than scrap value......
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Beck

Quote from: "40"Hmmmm......Wonder what it would take to build a hitch on that thing and turn it into a job shack/storage trailer??? Ah.....probably about as bright of an idea as buying a few more trucks to pay for the plasma cutter  :roll:

A lot of these trucks are purchased by a guy near me. He buys several each month. When he goes to pick them up he drives one of these trucks to the location with several guys with him. He has tow bars set up. He has a method to attach to the front. He welds a hitch on the back of a "runner" and flat tows a "non-runner" home. Each guy in the truck takes 2 home. So, yes you could make a trailer out of one. It sure wouldn't be pretty going down the road. It was bad enough driving this one home. I can't imagine towing another along.

Beck

The aluminum cutting circular saw blade works great. I worked all day today and got about 3/4 of the truck cut up. It is a good thing I bought 2 blades right away. I am going to have to put the new one in tomorrow to finish the job. It is going to be a real job to get all the aluminum cuttings off the driveway. If it were steel I would use one of the big magnets.

Thanks again for the tip!

Beck

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Beck"The aluminum cutting circular saw blade works great. I worked all day today and got about 3/4 of the truck cut up. It is a good thing I bought 2 blades right away. I am going to have to put the new one in tomorrow to finish the job. It is going to be a real job to get all the aluminum cuttings off the driveway. If it were steel I would use one of the big magnets.

Thanks again for the tip!

Beck

Here's a neat little trick I use, because my 2 dogs from time to time come into the garage, and it's impossible to sweep up every little piece of metal sliver.

Go buy a roll of that cheap peel and stick shelf liner paper at Wal-mart. Cut a piece off, peel the back off, a roll it backwards around a large paint roller so the sticky side is out. Put the roller on the handle, screw a broom stick or pole into the end, and roll up the little hidden pieces... :idea:  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...