Lower column mount

Started by enjenjo, February 24, 2007, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I fabricated a lower column mount for this car I am doing right now. I started with a piece of 2" electrical conduit. Conduit is measured ID, so a 2" column will just fit into 2" conduit. If there is anything larger than 2" on the bottom of the column, it won't fit through, so it has to be removed, and installed after the column is in place.

You can cheat, and start with a clamp on exhaust tip, but no one in town had one.

You can slip a thin O ring over the column, and down into the tube to seal things up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Hummm.. I didnt see this post this morning cause it was farther down the page.. I use adapters too. like 2to 2 1/8 I dont go to the work of making a clamp on mine. I find they dont really need one. If the top is supported well enuff and all the set screws in the ujoints and spotted into the steering shaft on the way down to the box it will never move.
Looks good though Frank..
Dave

Ed ke6bnl

I did something similiar but no clamp on top and in the engine compartment I welded 3 nuts aroung the tube that have bolts that secure the column. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,