200R4 Question -- Tony or someone?

Started by 1FATGMC, May 01, 2004, 01:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Tony is the 4th gear pressure switch that sends a signal to the ECM a normally open switch?  Does it just ground the the ECM?

Our car that I put the 200R4 in is in Texas right now with Julie.  When we put the transmission in  I found the wire that grounds the TCC Solenoid and put it on a toggle switch that goes to ground when closed.  This was a temporary fix until Julie gets back home with the car.  That way she can manually lock the converter in 4th.

I'm wondering if the 4th gear pressure switch is normally open when not in 4th and it goes to ground, if I could take that wire to the toggle switch and then if I left the toggle switch in the "on" position it would automatically lock and un-lock going into and out of 4th?  

I would end up with 12 volts to one pin.  The ground side of the TCC would go to the toggle switch.  The wire from the 4th gear pressure switch would be attached to the other side of the SPST toggle switch.  I guess if I didn't want to mess with the toggle switch these two wires could also be attached together in the pan area if this would work.

I think the way GM had it wired was so that the ECM would control the lockup and wouldn't let it lock up if the motor was still cold from what I can find.

Thanks,  Sum

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"what year vehicle ?

"A" position of the square connector is for the 12 volts on the tranny.

You can hook a ground wire with a switch to the "D" position.

I can provide a phot of A & D positions in the connector  if needed?

Thanks Tony, but I'm already that far along and that is the way I wired it for now.  I don't know what the 200R4 came out of.  It was just given to me by a friend in Oklahoma when the other transmission blew up.

I saw on another site where the "B" position went to the 4th presure switch and the ECU.  So I'm trying to find out if the 4th presure switch is normally open and when in 4th if it grounds the "B" connector.  If so I was going to hook "B" and "D" together to lock the converter in 4th.

When the car gets back here next week I can check this out with an ohm meter, but I was just thinking about it and if someone knew it would save me some time.

Thanks and c ya,  

Sum