6 volt gauges

Started by sirstude, February 17, 2007, 10:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Has anyone had experience with using 6 volt gauges with 12 volts. I know there are several voltage drops out there, but was wondering if anyone has first had experience with them.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

GM gauges, for my 41 Olds.  They are all electric, even the oil pressure, that kind of suprised me.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Ok, the simplest, cheapest way to do it, is to get a universal voltage, power adapter from Radio Shack. I don't have the part number right now, but can dig it out if you can't find it. They are solid state, and can be set at 3, 6, or 9 volts. Made to plug in the lighter port. Set it at 6 volts, and hard wire it into the power wire for the gauges. Now you are done.

The problem with most voltage dropping devices, they are load dependent, and as the load changes on the gauges, the voltage varies making them inaccurate. The solid state device gives constant voltage regardless of the load.

UGLY OLDS

I'm using the stock fuel & temp guages in my '40  Olds with stock senders for each...Using a voltage drop device made by a friend...Works great.. Altho the stock temp guage only goes to 212*...I feel anything above that is HOT...Just like above 100 mph is "fast" ..When the needle gets to that area, I'm not looking at the speedo anyway.. :roll:  :roll:   Oh..Don't even THINK about using the stock ammeter...It WILL fry when using an alternator...( not enough capacity....)
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

You can use the stock ammeter by shunting it to limit current flow. This is a resistor across the terminals on the ammeter that allow only part of the current through the gauge. It cuts it by about half, but still gives a charge/discharge indication. You can find a shunt on the ammeter in 60s or 70s GM cars.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"You can use the stock ammeter by shunting it to limit current flow. This is a resistor across the terminals on the ammeter that allow only part of the current through the gauge. It cuts it by about half, but still gives a charge/discharge indication. You can find a shunt on the ammeter in 60s or 70s GM cars.

I forgot about these...We tried using one one but could never get it close to being accurate.( 30 Amp meter....105Amp alternator..) As you said though, it will indicate a "charge / discharge " situation... :)
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

sirstude

Thanks guys,  Now the next question, I might just cut apart some new gautges and replace the ones on my unit. Know of any reverse swing gauges.  My gauges are one on top of another on each side of the speedo.  I can use the same swing and it would just read right to left anyway.  

Also need to find a place that can cnc me a new gauge front panel. It is plastic and if I change gauges I need volts and different temp range on it. I have the old one for a pattern.

Doug

See you later, the race just started, and I am sanding on the Olds.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

46 fordpickup

Try a 80"s gm full size van the have little round can bodies you just cut a hole with a hole saw slide in the gauge and a couple of tacks with a mig and your done. They also have nut terminals for the wires .Well it may be a little harder than that lol .

46 fordpickup

Try a 80"s gm full size van the have little round can bodies you just cut a hole with a hole saw slide in the gauge and a couple of tacks with a mig and your done. They also have nut terminals for the wires .Well it may be a little harder than that lol .