9" tractionloc rebuild

Started by 2rods, March 04, 2007, 10:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2rods

Need to install new clutches in my TL unit and was wondering if anyone here knows how to setup the clearance without the special tool that ford uses. Can extra clutches be installed? Thanks for any help with this.

2rods

Anyone? 64 views with no response? Someone should know about rebuilding these?

enjenjo

Well, I've rebuilt a bunch, but I know nothing about Fords special tool.

There is a spacer plate in the clutch pack, you can leave that out, and get one more worn, but not worn out clutch plate in. You can not machine it for more plates, it is cut thin enough that the clutch pack area is where it breaks when it fails.

To hold the parts lined up for assembly, I use the splined end cut from an old axle.

If you need the odd part, let me know, I have some stuff in stock. springs, blocks, cross pins ect.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

i've seen stiffer springs for the block.  never seen a setup with more frictions.

seen a few Ford carriers cracked the whole diameter on the side.  I usually use Auburn replacement units.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

2rods

Thanks guys. Frank do you have 2 short spider shafts for the 4 spider setup? I could cut 2 long shafts to work but if you have any maybe that is the way to go.  Also about that spacer plate, I think you're talking about the shim? What about adding another say .030" or so as I have lots of shims. Thanks again.
Dave.

enjenjo

I think I have some short shafts, I'll dig them out. Remind me if I don't get back to you in a day or so.

Yes, I'm talking about the shim.

2rods

Any luck finding those shafts?

enjenjo

Quote from: "2rods"Any luck finding those shafts?

Yup, I have two nice ones in my hot little hand. PM an address, and I'll send them to you.