NOS question?

Started by speedracer, February 23, 2007, 03:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

Well I finally got my nitros hooked up but don't know a thing about how not to blow my butt up!  Any advice on what to do and not do with NOS.
My ride is a 85 El Camino SS 355 SBC  just rebulit 420 hp dyno at the wheels (motor) and the NOS is 150 hp type.  Any advice would GREATLY be appreicated!-----------john

enjenjo

Is this a complete system? How is it accuated? A 150 hp system is fairly easy on an engine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

John,

GET YOUR TIMING RIGHT  BEFORE you play with the nitrous!

If not, things can get VERY expensive!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

speedracer

Quote from: "enjenjo"Is this a complete system? How is it accuated? A 150 hp system is fairly easy on an engine.
OK  guys I'm sure glad I asked questions first!  So accuated?  Now there is 2, I think there called selenoids hooked up in the  carb spacer.  There is a switch if you will, located on the linkage which is activatated at WOT and a power on switch that was installed on my dash. and that's about it, I think.
Also yall was wanting make sure the timing is correct before I start playing with NOS, now I have the engine set at 8 degrees advance and I still have the vacuum advance plugged off, BUT tomorrow I will time the engine again with the vacuum hose hooked up right.
I think the system that was installed came from eldelbrock and the guy set it at 100hp for now.  He said if I wanted him to raise it to 150 after I get used to it he could or would.  As yall can tell I'm pretty dumb about Hot Roddin but I'm not to dumb to ask for advice.
Thanks for all yalls advice---------------John

enjenjo

Ok. as Bruce said, make sure the timing is right, not only at idle, but through the entire curve. In other words. check the total timing. With NOS, you don't want more than 38 to 40 degrees total. If you don't know how to total time an engine, ask.

Next, test the system to make sure it's working. With the NOS armed, and the engine idling, warmed up, accuate the throttle switch by hand without opening the throttle. If the system is working right, the engine should go to about 3,000 rpm, and run good at that rpm, with no popping or stumble. If it pops or stumbles, the fuel pressure may be set wrong, or the filter in the NOS line may be plugged, fix it in either case.

Once you have confirmed that, you can take it for a test drive. Depending on tires, you may get better times staying out of the bottle until second gear. NOS causes the plugs to color orange, doesn't seem to hurt them. Watch the engine temp. NOS usually makes the engine run a bit cooler in the short term, if it's heating, you may be too lean.

speedracer

Quote from: "enjenjo"Ok. as Bruce said, make sure the timing is right, not only at idle, but through the entire curve. In other words. check the total timing. With NOS, you don't want more than 38 to 40 degrees total. If you don't know how to total time an engine, ask.

Next, test the system to make sure it's working. With the NOS armed, and the engine idling, warmed up, accuate the throttle switch by hand without opening the throttle. If the system is working right, the engine should go to about 3,000 rpm, and run good at that rpm, with no popping or stumble. If it pops or stumbles, the fuel pressure may be set wrong, or the filter in the NOS line may be plugged, fix it in either case.

Once you have confirmed that, you can take it for a test drive. Depending on tires, you may get better times staying out of the bottle until second gear. NOS causes the plugs to color orange, doesn't seem to hurt them. Watch the engine temp. NOS usually makes the engine run a bit cooler in the short term, if it's heating, you may be too lean.
Ok I think I got it after timed right and engine ideling at around 750 -900 rpm reach over and activate the NOS swithch on the linkage by hand (not giving it the gas on the linkage) and the rpms should go up to 3000 rpm and run steady.  There is a fuel pressure regulator installed already.
Now I got another question.  If I forget to turn off the bottle while driving, will that hurt the engine?  And say the bottle has been turned on for say 30 minutes and your driving on the interstate can you just arm the NOS by the on/off switch on the dash and floor it at say 70 mph? With hurting the engine?             john

speedracer

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"John,

GET YOUR TIMING RIGHT  BEFORE you play with the nitrous!

If not, things can get VERY expensive!
Thanks Bruce for your help, I really appreciate it!  Got alittle question for ya, the gauges I have right now are el cheapo type and will  be replaced but for now the temp sending unit is hooked up to the intake manifold and keeps giving me false reading and sometimes bounces up to 250 then drop to 180 very quickly.  There is one hot wire and one ground that all 3 gauges use for lighting etc.  Any suggestions there?                    john

enjenjo

QuoteNow I got another question. If I forget to turn off the bottle while driving, will that hurt the engine? And say the bottle has been turned on for say 30 minutes and your driving on the interstate can you just arm the NOS by the on/off switch on the dash and floor it at say 70 mph? Without hurting the engine? john

No, to the first question, unless something is leaking, and Yes to the second question.