Spindal nut torque setting?

Started by Topsterguy, February 02, 2007, 12:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

All this time I've been tightening spindal nuts "till they felt right" and now I hear there's a proper torque setiing for them! :oops:   Anyone know what it is!??  ( 39 Lincoln drums if that makes a diference)
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

10 ft lbs. Tighten it to about 30 ft. lbs, rotate 1 turn in each direction, loosen, and retorque to 10 ft lbs. rotate 1 turn, and recheck the torque, repeat until it maintains 10 ft lbs. This is for tapered roller bearings. This is direct from Timken.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Now I am completely in the dark. Rotate the nut one turn in each direction or the wheel? I got to wondering (which is dangerous) about how you could turn the nut one turn tighter after you hit 35#? But if you backed it off first and then turned it back to tight (what would you gain?). Is this advise for all manufacture bearings? What about re-greasing and re-installing used bearings? If this responce doesn't show you how dumb I can be, I've always re-greased bearings and tightened the nut and backed it off enough so that I could get a cotter key through the castleated nut and the hole in the spindle. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"Now I am completely in the dark. Rotate the nut one turn in each direction or the wheel? I got to wondering (which is dangerous) about how you could turn the nut one turn tighter after you hit 35#? But if you backed it off first and then turned it back to tight (what would you gain?). Is this advise for all manufacture bearings? What about re-greasing and re-installing used bearings? If this responce doesn't show you how dumb I can be, I've always re-greased bearings and tightened the nut and backed it off enough so that I could get a cotter key through the castleated nut and the hole in the spindle. GPster

turn the rotor Joe..... the rotor.....turn the rotor 1 turn each direction to seat the bearings while checking the torque of the retaining castle nut
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

slocrow

Great question and the quintessential answer! Who da thunk it.....................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "GPster"Now I am completely in the dark. Rotate the nut one turn in each direction or the wheel? I got to wondering (which is dangerous) about how you could turn the nut one turn tighter after you hit 35#? But if you backed it off first and then turned it back to tight (what would you gain?). Is this advise for all manufacture bearings? What about re-greasing and re-installing used bearings? If this responce doesn't show you how dumb I can be, I've always re-greased bearings and tightened the nut and backed it off enough so that I could get a cotter key through the castleated nut and the hole in the spindle. GPster

turn the rotor Joe..... the rotor.....turn the rotor 1 turn each direction to seat the bearings while checking the torque of the retaining castle nut

So your saying you need to turn the rotor right ?
Dave :wink:

Charlie Chops 1940

Oh yeah, and make sure the flux capacitors aren't deleted either....

All right, I want the truth now - how many guys do this torque thing - is it part of your maintenance routine, like changing your anti-freeze, brake fluid and tire air?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jusjunk"

So your saying you need to turn the rotor right ?

No,  I said to turn the rotor each direction....

you have been practicing too much lately.  take a break.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dave

Ha ya got me on that one.. I dont do it that way Charlie.. I do it the old way.

slocrow

Quote from: "jusjunk"I do it the old way.
Me too and I make sure they check the brakes and tire pressure while it's apart................... :lol:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"
Quote from: "jusjunk"I do it the old way.
Me too and I make sure they check the brakes and tire pressure while it's apart................... :lol:

Now why doesnt that supprise me :?: Hey is it cold in ohio too :?: Man i just got home and the wind is like about 40 and its cooooooooooooooooold

Roadstar

It would be a drum acutally :wink:

Topsterguy

WHOA!!!  REALLY opened a can of worms on this one!!!  Thanks!  Larry
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

46 fordpickup

Good question and you will probably get a lot of different answers and opinions so i'll give mine hehe . any time you are adjusting a tappered roller bearing you should spin the bearing [in this case the rotor]while tightening it because there is a ramp effect because the bearing is tappered .Snug it down good spin a couple of turns,back it off and tighten it down to as close to 0 lash as possible [no end play].Remember over greasing causes bearings to run hotter not so important on cars with larger diameter wheels but if you look at the size of say a tensioner bearing that baby gets buzzed pretty good lol. As bearings heat up more load will be placed on the bearing and in the case of a rotor you also have heat being generated from the brakes . So that is my feelings on this hope this helps .