Engine won't start!

Started by speedracer, January 23, 2007, 05:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

Hey guys I got another problem.  First let me say I got my altanator rewired and that solved that problem It's putting out 12-14 volts now, lights are brighter and of course my battery stays charged.  Now last night I decided I would turn on my NOS start my engine and letting it idle I turned on the switch inside the cab and drove off.  After driving for maybe 5 to 10 minutes (and I was'nt hot rodding her either) just before I was going to get down on it, it popped, not really loud more of a ping sound and the engine shut down.  I looked under the hood and didn't see anything different but the engine would not start or even try to.  It was turning over plenty fast enough and was getting fuel but it almost seemed like it was'nt getting any spark.  Spoke with the speed shop and he said your not suppose to run engine for any length of time with the NOS being turned on and also I might have busted my timing chain by doing so.
Any suggestions or comments out there!!!   Please HELP!!
I guess that was a pretty dumb thing to do leaving the NOS on for 5 or 10 minutes but I was'nt even stepping down on it to even kick in.
Thanks, john

Leon

Pull the distributor cap off and see if the rotor turns when you crank it over.  If it doesn't, you broke a chain, gear, or cam.

EMSjunkie

Dang Jonhhy, you ever gonna get to stomp on it? :(

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

1FATGMC

I know zip about NOS, but you say you turned it on.  Did you just arm it or was NOS actually flowing at some point??

Sum

Sean

Quote from: "1FATGMC"I know zip about NOS, but you say you turned it on.  Did you just arm it or was NOS actually flowing at some point??

Sum

Yeah, what Sum said.

If you had nitrous flowing and weren't at WOT, that is a major no-no.

speedracer

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"I know zip about NOS, but you say you turned it on.  Did you just arm it or was NOS actually flowing at some point??

Sum

Yeah, what Sum said.

Yeah I had the bottle turned on and the armed switch on but it's set on the carb linkage to engage at WOT.  Well tomorrow am I'll pull the distribitor cab and check the rotor.  Now that I think about it, I blew a rotor a long time ago (different car) but it made the same noise and of course shut down.   I guess I better learn more about nitros before I blow up my neighborhood!  Hopefully its just a rotor or something simple and nothing major, that would be a expensive lesson to learn!  johnny

1FATGMC

Quote from: "speedracer"
Quote from: "Sean"

Sum

Yeah, what Sum said.

Yeah I had the bottle turned on and the armed switch on but it's set on the carb linkage to engage at WOT.  Well tomorrow am I'll pull the distribitor cab and check the rotor.  Now that I think about it, I blew a rotor a long time ago (different car) but it made the same noise and of course shut down.   I guess I better learn more about nitros before I blow up my neighborhood!  Hopefully its just a rotor or something simple and nothing major, that would be a expensive lesson to learn!  johnny

He isn't saying you broke the rotor.  If the rotor moves or not will tell you if something else is broken.

Sum