Welding on Sway Bars

Started by 348tripower, January 16, 2007, 11:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have a sway bar on my 51 Bullet nose Stude that I need to move up closer to the frame. I can do this easily with new brackets but I would have to have new attachment points for the ends to the a arms. The bar is just 3/4 dia now. I was thinking a tab for a link to attach? Suggestions please.
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

enjenjo

I have cut and rewelded the ends on a sway bar with no problems. As long as both ends are done the same, it shouldn't be a problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have cut and rewelded the ends on a sway bar with no problems. As long as both ends are done the same, it shouldn't be a problem.

You are the man!  This thing sticks down about 5 inches and making the front end look good after removing the bumper dictates this.
Don
Don Colliau

phat rat

As long as your doing all this why not put a heavier bar on?  3/4" is small for performance. The bar on my cpe was cut and welded plus drilled and tapped on the ends for links and after 54,000 mi is still going strong. So as Frank said nothing to worry about
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

348tripower

Quote from: "phat rat"As long as your doing all this why not put a heavier bar on?  3/4" is small for performance. The bar on my cpe was cut and welded plus drilled and tapped on the ends for links and after 54,000 mi is still going strong. So as Frank said nothing to worry about

Jack,
 That is another possibility. I may start this way and change later. Or?
Charlie answered on the other board too about this. What size bar do you have? I got a big block and tripower setting in the bullet.
Don
Don Colliau

Charlie Chops 1940

On cars in the weight area above 3000 lbs I like to use 1" t0 1.25" dia. bars. I have 1.25 on the front of the '40 and a stock '40 front bar on the back - 5/8" maybe a little more.

I misunderstood your question a little I think. Cutting and relocating ends by welding them together isn't a problem as Frank and Jack say.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

I was thinking my frt sway bar was bigger than it is. Measures 1", and that just barely fits through all the twists and turns to get it in the Nova sub. On the rear I've got the sway bar that Chassis Engineering sells for the 41-8 Ford. Remember mines a BBC also, when I had it weighed a few years ago at Louisville the front to rear weight ratio was 52%-48%
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.