Blower Motor Exhaust

Started by Mr348, January 14, 2007, 12:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr348

Ok guys here's my dilema. I am bulding a 32' 3-window highboy that will have a blown 327 and a 5 speed. Having delt with blower motors in the past I know exhaust header primary size is crucial. 99% of street rod headers ve it over the frame sprint car style or block huggers all have 1 5/8" primaries. I have always been told to use 1 3/4" tubes. Does anyone think I can get away with the 1 5/8" tube headers for driver street car? 327 cid, 6-71 weiand, 10% underdriven, big cam (too big for an automatic). Any help will be greaty appreciated! Thank you.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Mr348"Ok guys here's my dilema. I am bulding a 32' 3-window highboy that will have a blown 327 and a 5 speed. Having delt with blower motors in the past I know exhaust header primary size is crucial. 99% of street rod headers ve it over the frame sprint car style or block huggers all have 1 5/8" primaries. I have always been told to use 1 3/4" tubes. Does anyone think I can get away with the 1 5/8" tube headers for driver street car? 327 cid, 6-71 weiand, 10% underdriven, big cam (too big for an automatic). Any help will be greaty appreciated! Thank you.

the headers will work fine for a street car.

If you were racing , then it would be different.

I would suggest a good quality coating on the headers if you want them to look good for a long time
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mr348

I defintly will have them coated. Having worked for HPC in the past I know all the advantages of thermal coatings. Thanks for the tip.

slocrow

Mr348; Sorry, I'm just nosey, what heads are you running and have you increased the exhaust valve size along with some corresponding porting? If not, I'm in agreement with the 1&5/8ths.........Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Mr348

Well I am actually running what i know is not the most efficient setup. Camel back 2.02 heads that have been updated with good springs, hardened seats, bronze guides..you know the usual. They are however heavily worked in the ports and the bowls and they flowed very well on a flow bench here in town. Still not like a set of Darts or whatever but its all I have and the motor runs really good right now as is. I plan to update the heads next summer but I need to get the car out and driving so I need to get started on an exhaust system for this car. (the motor came out of my dad's 56 belair) I hope that clears things up a little more.