type of bulkhead fitting?

Started by sirstude, January 13, 2007, 07:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I am looking for a grommet type fitting that I have seen used, but don't have any idea what it is called so I can even try looking it up.  Looks like a large washer (say about 3 inches) with a large hole in it.  The hole is bonded to rubber or something of the like.  The washer is drilled for screws.  You screw the washer over a hole in whatever you want to run a wire or tube or the like into.  You then can put something through the rubber and it will kind of seal to whatever you ran through it.  

What I am doing is, I mounted the compressor for my air suspension in the back of the rear fender of the olds.  I now need to run the braided air line from the compressor into the trunk where the air tank, and valves are.  I have seen these used on one of the tv car shows, just not sure which one.  I could use just a regular grommet, but that will make me bend the braided more than the other way.  It will also put more pressure on the grommet.

Just hoping someone has an idea.  At worst, I could use a 1/4" ntp bulkhead fitting, but I will have to try to order one of those from somewhere.  I am sure they do make them.  I have found them in pvc and 1/2" seems to be the smallest size.  I wonder about using one of those under air pressure and close to the compressor.  One of the issues with airbags seems to be people that use plastic line to the compressor.  It gets hot and melts the lines.

Thanks
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

whizzer24

Quote from: "sirstude"I am looking for a grommet type fitting that I have seen used, but don't have any idea what it is called so I can even try looking it up.  Looks like a large washer (say about 3 inches) with a large hole in it.  The hole is bonded to rubber or something of the like.  The washer is drilled for screws.  You screw the washer over a hole in whatever you want to run a wire or tube or the like into.  You then can put something through the rubber and it will kind of seal to whatever you ran through it.  

What I am doing is, I mounted the compressor for my air suspension in the back of the rear fender of the olds.  I now need to run the braided air line from the compressor into the trunk where the air tank, and valves are.  I have seen these used on one of the tv car shows, just not sure which one.  I could use just a regular grommet, but that will make me bend the braided more than the other way.  It will also put more pressure on the grommet.

Just hoping someone has an idea.  At worst, I could use a 1/4" ntp bulkhead fitting, but I will have to try to order one of those from somewhere.  I am sure they do make them.  I have found them in pvc and 1/2" seems to be the smallest size.  I wonder about using one of those under air pressure and close to the compressor.  One of the issues with airbags seems to be people that use plastic line to the compressor.  It gets hot and melts the lines.

Thanks
Doug

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

MrMopar64

www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol: