engine opinions

Started by kb426, January 11, 2007, 07:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "Crosley"5.3 chevy... plenty of power and fuel mileage with a manual trans.

i want one soooo bad to play with....not the one in my truck;)

probably a few 5.3 motors on ebay
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Is the 5.3 a physically larger engine than a LT1? What do you have to do to clean it up appearance wise? Is there any reason to use either of the Chevys over a 4.6 dohc Ford?
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Is the 5.3 a physically larger engine than a LT1? What do you have to do to clean it up appearance wise? Is there any reason to use either of the Chevys over a 4.6 dohc Ford?

The Ford modular motor is huge when compared to the 5.3 chev , that would be a concern in a smaller engine cavity.

8)
Tony

Carnut

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "kb426"Is the 5.3 a physically larger engine than a LT1? What do you have to do to clean it up appearance wise? Is there any reason to use either of the Chevys over a 4.6 dohc Ford?

The Ford modular motor is huge when compared to the 5.3 chev , that would be a concern in a smaller engine cavity.

8)

Oh gee, I guess y'all ain't talking about a 327 eh?

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Carnut"

8)

Yep, the new one though not the old one, but you probably knew that :wink: .

Tony has gone "metric" on us  :cry: , I knew sooner or later he would defect  8) ,

Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

8)

Tony has gone "metric" on us  :cry: , I knew sooner or later he would defect  8) ,

Sum

hmmm, this coming from a guy with an "offshore" powertrain in his salt car....... :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"

8)

Sum

hmmm, this coming from a guy with an "offshore" powertrain in his salt car....... :lol:

Don't they make them in Kentucky or some place right next to all those American Toyota factories  :twisted: .

Guess I had better start looking for some "American Iron"  :roll: ,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

8)

Sum

I believe the 5.3 is actually about 326 cubes IIRC ......

tough little motors.

Some of the race guys say the stock 5.3 crank shaft will take 700+ hp and live  to tell stories about it.

To make good power with the Ford Mod motor you have to force feed it.

:shock:
Tony

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"I believe the 5.3 is actually about 326 cubes IIRC ......

tough little motors.

Some of the race guys say the stock 5.3 crank shaft will take 700+ hp and live  to tell stories about it.
:shock:

I haven't gotten these two to tell me any stories  :cry: , in fact I haven't even heard them talk to one another  8) .  Maybe it is because I've had them all tied up  :oops: .

Glad I'm about 400 miles from you right now Tony  :wink: ,

Sum

32 Chevy

Why dont you consider a 5.0 Ford? The H.O roller cam version is a wonderful motor and there are a LOT of them available now as more 89-93 Mustangs end up in the boneyard. I bought two complete very good running takeouts with mass air efi and harness for $400 or less. The high chrome blocks just dont seem to ever wear out. One engine has 175K on it and you can still see the hone marks.

These angines also respond very well to the ususl tweaks, especially exhaust porting. Very easy to get a wonderfully streetable 300 h.P with some careful tuning and a few carefully spent $$.

The basically stock 5.0 H.O in my 56 Ford Wagon with AOD trans and 4 bbl edelbrock gets 21 mpg, has gobs of power and is smooth as silk. A friend with similar car and EFI 5.0 gets 24 mpg. I'm going to be converting mine to EFI in about a month. I have all the parts to do it now but it's just too dang cold outside!

Dave R]

kb426

I've used 5.0's several times in the last few years. My problem with them is the efi intake. I think it's ughly. I'm a real fan of efi, though. Does anybody make an efi intake that looks like a hot rod part?
TEAM SMART

32 Chevy

Have you looked at the GT 40 intake? It is a bolt-in replacement for the standard 5.0 H.O. manifold. There are two versions of the GT 40; one was used for the v8 Explorers and while it has higher flow numbers then the H.O intake and has more of a 'squared off' look then the stock intake . But the other version of the Gt 40, the one made for the F150 Lightning and the REAL GT 40 have wonderful looking, swoopy runners. I have seen a few polished GT 40 setups on street rods and they are show stoppers!  

Dave