700r4 upgrade questions

Started by entodad, January 10, 2007, 11:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

entodad

Having opened two trannys recently both with the same rear planatary shell torn up, and one with the rear sprag all ripped apart. What is a recommended upgrade there.  I see 5 pinion rear planet sets, and also a rear shell called the beast...are these good upgrades or are they unnecessary for putting a little hp/torque through the tranny.  
Also what else would be good to do...
I expect the engine will develop about 350-450 hp and have maybe 300-400 ft-lbs of torque  355 CID chevy

Thanks in advance
Doug :shock:
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

entodad

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "entodad"Having opened two trannys recently both with the same rear planatary shell torn up, and one with the rear sprag all ripped apart. What is a recommended upgrade there.  I see 5 pinion rear planet sets, and also a rear shell called the beast...are these good upgrades or are they unnecessary for putting a little hp/torque through the tranny.  
I expect the engine will develop about 350-450 hp and have maybe 300-400 ft-lbs of torque  355 CID chevy

Thanks in advance

Your term planetary shell is incorrect If I am thinking about the same part.

THe drive shell ( stamped steel unit) can be trouble.  The 'beast " drive shell is worth the $ ,  IMHO. Follow the instructions!   I have never seen one broken, even a 4L65E unit I have pressed ( BF-hammer) the guts apart for an inspection.

Rear planet failure where the gear teeth are rounded off, black/blue  metal
Is from lube problems.  4 pinion planets are fine. ALL bushings must be tight or replaced for proper lube flow.

I would suggest the Raybestos Z-Pack for the 3/4 clutch pack. Follow instructions!

I would suggest to remove the check ball capsule from the 2-4 servo bore..... install a t-350 cup plug ( TRANSTAR # 13970) into the  case to block off the hole... Firms up the 2-3 shift.

Vette servo is good upgrade.  Keep shift holes stock for 1-2 in a light car.  Open 3rd gear hole to .093 with above mods.

add a check ball to the line bias valve spring (in the bore first , then spring , then valve) ..... run a .422 main boost valve.  Low / reverse boost valve run a .282 unit.

Run a 10 vane pump. .0015 clearance works well.

Did I mention replace the bushings?

Depending on year of tranny and pump design there are more mods to perform.

:wink:  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Great stuff Tony, thanks  :D ,

Sum

entodad

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "entodad"Having opened two trannys recently both with the same rear planatary shell torn up, and one with the rear sprag all ripped apart. What is a recommended upgrade there.  I see 5 pinion rear planet sets, and also a rear shell called the beast...are these good upgrades or are they unnecessary for putting a little hp/torque through the tranny.  

Thanks in advance

Your term planetary shell is incorrect If I am thinking about the same part.

THe drive shell ( stamped steel unit) can be trouble.  The 'beast " drive shell is worth the $ ,  IMHO. Follow the instructions!   I have never seen one broken, even a 4L65E unit I have pressed ( BF-hammer) the guts apart for an inspection.

Rear planet failure where the gear teeth are rounded off, black/blue  metal
Is from lube problems.  4 pinion planets are fine. ALL bushings must be tight or replaced for proper lube flow.

I would suggest the Raybestos Z-Pack for the 3/4 clutch pack. Follow instructions!

I would suggest to remove the check ball capsule from the 2-4 servo bore..... install a t-350 cup plug ( TRANSTAR # 13970) into the  case to block off the hole... Firms up the 2-3 shift.

Vette servo is good upgrade.  Keep shift holes stock for 1-2 in a light car.  Open 3rd gear hole to .093 with above mods.

add a check ball to the line bias valve spring (in the bore first , then spring , then valve) ..... run a .422 main boost valve.  Low / reverse boost valve run a .282 unit.

Run a 10 vane pump. .0015 clearance works well.

Did I mention replace the bushings?

Depending on year of tranny and pump design there are more mods to perform.

:wink:  :wink:

Bushings are to be replaced, I have a z-pack already, a transgo shift kit (blue box) is ready to go, I also boutht a corvete servo.  a new transgo separator plate, new front and rear sprags, new bushings, thrust washers, 0.500 boost valve (o-ringed), an o-ringed low/reverse valve, a sonnax accumulator spring, and now I will add a new drive shell (beast) and I will keep the 4 pinion planet.....I think that is all so far....geeze this is getting expensive......but it should be worth it

Thanks Crosley!

Doug