Epoxy repair on aluminum

Started by C9, April 21, 2004, 10:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Probably wishful thinking, but I knocked out a somewhat complex round aluminum piece and cut a 1/4" wide by 1/4" deep internal groove in it.

Due to a small  :? miscalculation on my part I need the groove moved outward about .060 - .090 or so.
It's obvious I can't just knock out a ring and insert it cuz it's an internal groove so a couple of ideas are running around in my alleged mind.

Best way, machine a ledge from the outside in, machine a ring for a press fit, press it in, trim to size, cut the new groove.
Machining large diameter rings that are small in cross-section (1/4" square) bring their own problems to the mix so I'm not too wild about that either.

EZ way out if it was possible, fill the groove with a machinable epoxy and re-machine the groove.
My fear is the snap ring and other piece will eat the epoxied area up in no time and create a problem.

The very best way is to machine a whole new piece, but that entails a 40 miles one-way trip to the aluminum store and 2-3 hours of machine work.

And yeah . . . I did tear my hair and say a few bad words.
Thought about kicking the dog, but he'd probably just bite me so I let that one slide....  :roll:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

We use an epoxy adhesive/filler from Ceiba Geigy to repair brake spiders on truck axles, it holds up well, but I don't know how a snap ring would affect it.

Any chance you could come up with a piece of aluminum pipe close to the size you need, and make an insert out of that? You could cut a section off, glue it into place, and machine the assembly, getting away from having to machine a ring.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

Quote from: "enjenjo"We use an epoxy adhesive/filler from Ceiba Geigy to repair brake spiders on truck axles, it holds up well, but I don't know how a snap ring would affect it.

Any chance you could come up with a piece of aluminum pipe close to the size you need, and make an insert out of that? You could cut a section off, glue it into place, and machine the assembly, getting away from having to machine a ring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did think of the aluminum tubing/pipe, but it entails a trip to the aluminum store.  And they may not have it in a close enough size.
Right now I think I'm gonna give an epoxy a try, it's a non-critical deal and if if doesn't work, back to the drawing board.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

river1

can you get at it with the tig torch head? if so fill it with a weld bead and remachine.

hope it helps jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.