Swedish bike hauler

Started by purplepickup, January 09, 2007, 10:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I'm on a bicycle forum and one of the members there also collects old military vehicles.  This one is a 1956 Volvo command car built for the Swedish military.  There were 724 of them made.  It came with a factory bike rack that holds two bikes.  It's pretty cool so I thought I'd post a couple of pics.

George

Grandadeo

From the side view it kinda looks like and English Ford Prefect on steriods.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Charlie Chops 1940

That'd be really cool to haul our bikes to Bonneville, huh?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Fat Cat

That thing is so ugly its cute. I want one.

Carnut

Them bike haulers haven't changed a whole lot over the years, they're still ugly.

EMSjunkie

Does it come in a fenderless version?

ole' stickybritches may want one for his collection :roll:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Sean

Quote from: "purplepickup"This one is a 1956 Volvo command car built for the Swedish military.  There were 724 of them made.    

Thats one of the toughest looking command vehicles I've ever seen. Only one I can think of that looked meaner than that, is that thing that Michael Caine rides in in "A Bridge too Far"....

Carnut

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "purplepickup"This one is a 1956 Volvo command car built for the Swedish military.  There were 724 of them made.    

Thats one of the toughest looking command vehicles I've ever seen. Only one I can think of that looked meaner than that, is that thing that Michael Caine rides in in "A Bridge too Far"....

Oh, you mean the trusty ole Daimler MK1 FV107J 'Ferret' Scout Car?

Sean

Quote from: "Carnut"

Yep, that looks like it, 'cept they look better without the guns and extra baggage. I always thought Daimler was a German company, but they must not have been if the Brits were using that in WWII.

Carnut

Quote from: "Carnut"

Yep, that looks like it, 'cept they look better without the guns and extra baggage. I always thought Daimler was a German company, but they must not have been if the Brits were using that in WWII.

Well, there's Daimler and there's Daimler.

Daimler Automobile History

Did you know that most of the tanks in 'Bridge' were replica bodies fitted to Rover Chassis? In several scenes you can see that the treads don't even move while the tank is.

Heh, heh, as a matter of fact I've got the DVD playing right now.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "purplepickup"

Much neater than the old Gama Goats we used to plow around Alaska with. We spent more time fixing them than driving them. Dang things had 6 wheels, and all of them turned when you turned the wheel. Very few guys got the hang of driving them. Extremely noisy, too.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Sean

Yep, that looks like it, 'cept they look better without the guns and extra baggage

Here's one without all the extra stuff. The Humber Scout looks pretty mean too. It actually looks more like the one in "a bridge too Far" to me, but its been a few months since I last watched it.

Carnut

Oh Ferrets were the HUMMV of the British Army, came in all sorts of configurations.

Here's one 'up armored' so to speak with a turreted canon.