rubber bump stops

Started by elwood, January 07, 2007, 01:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elwood

hi all,
well thanks to a couple people here i think i have most of my 4-bar set up figured out, now im trying to figure if i need rubber stoppers so my shocks cant bottom out ?
all the 4 bar set ups ive seen, i cant seam to see any stops.
i was thinking of mounting something on my frame so the diff housing hits it b4 the shocks bottom out.
any subjections ?
thanks.
elwood

Leon

I put some polyurethane screw-in bumpers on the bottom of the frame so it would hit there just before the shocks bottomed out.  They have a 3/8 stud sticking out and come in several different heights.

elwood

hey leon,
by any chance do you remimber where yu got them ?
ive actualy done a couple google searches and cant find what im looking for.
proubly help if i knew what the proper name for them was hu, smile
tks,
elwood

Leon

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Leon"I got some at Summit bumpers

I use these type of bumpers on the legs of shop tools like my hydraulic press.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dave

Quote from: "elwood"hi all,
well thanks to a couple people here i think i have most of my 4-bar set up figured out, now im trying to figure if i need rubber stoppers so my shocks cant bottom out ?
all the 4 bar set ups ive seen, i cant seam to see any stops.
i was thinking of mounting something on my frame so the diff housing hits it b4 the shocks bottom out.
any subjections ?
thanks.
elwood

Ive used the summit stuff or jegs .. They both sell em. On a model a its easy to hit the frame long before you bottom out the shocks. I forgot if you told us in your other post if you were gonna run coilovers with the 4 bar or what? I built my own 4 bar for my 30 A it wasnt triangulated so i had to make a panhard bar as well. It worked well but i used cheap heim joints and i wouldnt do that again. They would get dry and squeak :?:
If your gonna go coil overs i wouldnt worry about bottoming the shocks but i for sure worry about bottoming on the frame. Model a's look good when they are set up with about 3 inches frame to rearend clearance. The problem is that thats pushing it. Also i dunno what rearend you have and if your running fenderless or fenders but with fenders a comet maverick 8 inch works well and a 15x8 wheel with a 3 1/2 backspace is the ticket with a 235x75 15 tire. Back to the bump stops. My 34 used to bottom out with the drive shaft hitting the floor ? One day I got a bright idea and made a pinion snubber bracket for it. It had dual leafs.. Cured it and didnt even know it was there! This was after i redid the rear of the trans tunnel and a couple other things to try and cure the problem!  think it over there are other ways.. You may not even need the bump stops..
Dave

enjenjo

MCMaster Carr has several styles too.  http://www.mcmaster.com/  page 3524
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

elwood

id like to not run bumpers.
im running hal coil overs with 4 inch travel.
i am goanna set it up so my diff. 9 inch, hits the bumpers wright b4 my shocks could bottom out.
so you think i wouldn't need bumpers ?
i cant see me ever having enofe weight in my car to bottom them hals.
but i dont think i ever want my shocks to bottom out, but i guess a dallas pot hole could get me.
i was wondering if the coils wouldn't bottom out b4 the shock did ?