Paint questions

Started by enjenjo, December 20, 2006, 06:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

First off, I painted some PPG DBU, what is the recoat window on it?  Second, has any one used Martin Senouor paint in the last couple years? I used to use it, but haven't for a long time now. I found a source with real good prices, and wondered about the quality now days
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"First off, I painted some PPG DBU, what is the recoat window on it?  Second, has any one used Martin Senouor paint in the last couple years? I used to use it, but haven't for a long time now. I found a source with real good prices, and wondered about the quality now days

Ive been checking the auto body board frank and they say its still great stuff. lemme know bout prices and stuff cause i need to do the new car ! You can get the info for ppg on thier web site . Do a search and you can get there. Is dbu the stuff that takes hardner? Its been a whils and unless i go out to the garage and look i cant remember and im not going to the garage tonite :!:
Ive only got the data sheets for the stuff without the hardner anyway.
Dave
ps: im gonna see if i got the ppg site book marked if i do ill be back with an answer.............. :arrow:

enjenjo

Thanks for the info, and links.

timkins

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "enjenjo"First off, I painted some PPG DBU, what is the recoat window on it?  Second, has any one used Martin Senouor paint in the last couple years? I used to use it, but haven't for a long time now. I found a source with real good prices, and wondered about the quality now days

Ive been checking the auto body board frank and they say its still great stuff. lemme know bout prices and stuff cause i need to do the new car ! You can get the info for ppg on thier web site . Do a search and you can get there. Is dbu the stuff that takes hardner? Its been a whils and unless i go out to the garage and look i cant remember and im not going to the garage tonite :!:
Ive only got the data sheets for the stuff without the hardner anyway.
Dave
ps: im gonna see if i got the ppg site book marked if i do ill be back with an answer.............. :arrow:

You mention an "auto body board" in your answer. Is there a link to this forum? I am in the process of looking to repaint my 32 sedan and I am looking for some answers. Thanks

purplepickup

Quote from: "timkins"You mention an "auto body board" in your answer. Is there a link to this forum? I am in the process of looking to repaint my 32 sedan and I am looking for some answers. Thanks
I don't know if this is the one Dave is talking about but I haven't found a better one.  http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php?index A guy named Len runs it and he is very helpful.
George

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "timkins"You mention an "auto body board" in your answer. Is there a link to this forum? I am in the process of looking to repaint my 32 sedan and I am looking for some answers. Thanks
I don't know if this is the one Dave is talking about but I haven't found a better one.  http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php?index A guy named Len runs it and he is very helpful.

thats a great site and yes its the one i frequent.. Lots of good info there. As you know I think i used to paint on the side.. I made a bunch of money and always had pride in my work. That was the Laquer and acrylic enamel days. Its a whole new world now and although i love the end result of the new paints i hate em too.
Dave

:!:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jusjunk"

thats a great site and yes its the one i frequent.. Lots of good info there. As you know I think i used to paint on the side.. I made a bunch of money and always had pride in my work. That was the Laquer and acrylic enamel days. Its a whole new world now and although i love the end result of the new paints i hate em too.
Dave

yep , I did a lot of paint work in the 70's and 80's for extra cash..... people got know me and the tranny side work took over.  Early 1970's my second job in the afternoon was at a custom paint shop.

the new paints would be a learning curve.  With the old stuff I knew what & where I could cheat on mixing , matching , blending the stuff.

:T)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Me too, I painted a lot of custom vans in the late 70's, murals and all. I also did flames and scallops. I stopped about 85, and know very little about the new paints.

WZ JUNK

I think my brother may paint his truck hot rod black with some of this stuff  http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/Kirker/acrylic-urethanes.html  I saw some information about it in Street Rodder.  The prices are pretty good but I do not know anything about the paint.  Locally paint is very expensive.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH