Do the new Halibrands really suck?

Started by Flipper, December 05, 2006, 12:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flipper

Would you buy a set of used "new" halibrand kidney bean wheels?

Charlie Chops 1940

In the case of those you better have the Dakota truck with 6-hole wheels, cuz they won't fit anything else to my knowledge. Shouldn't be anything wrong with them being near current production. Other than having changed some of the details on some of their current wheels that are supposedly made in China I think they are fine.

I saw that set on eBay a week or so ago - seems like they were gonna go cheap.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Flipper

Dad is starting a Dakota framed 1941 Dodge pickup, so he does have a use for 'em.

A while back, people were bashing Halibrand on the HAMB.  ....but I think most of it was due to bad customer service/Halibrand going under.

Has anyone heard of any actual problems with the "new" wheels?

Charlie Chops 1940

Halibrand has hadsome difficulty but they have been back in production for about 3 years now...maybe a little touch and go but they seem to be moving forward. I bought some Sprints last year and the quality looked as I expected in the past. They have been a little slow on the screw-in standard hubs. I am hoping to open dialog on four owed to one of out NZ members in the next couple days.

I see that they have knock-off sets back on eBay, where they claim to have 1000 sets in stock or in production. Halibrand as a company has taken a lot of bashing but it looks like they are getting all that behind them.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

dragrcr50

I would love to buy some used kidney beans no matter where they were built.. ford or chevy pattern ...
I have been using the china built cruzers that look like halibrands and just got a set coated dark and had all the pilish removed and blasted, they look great and run them  on a drag car . we have used a couple of sets on 130 mph cars with no problems and they balance perfectly7... i see no problems .......might be one reason I am here more than the hamb, they have gotten to where they hate everyone. hehe
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

I have a new set of the Mehelic Cruzr's that resemble the old Halibrands complete with the knock-offs if anyone is interested.I think the fronts are 14X6 and the rears are 15X8....Ford  bolt circle.I was going to run them on my 36 but went the steel wheel/www route......Guess I should list them in the classifieds  :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Crosley.In.AZ

Halibrand wheels has plenty of 'baggage' to get behind it.

If the company falters much now, it may be the end of them.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

dragrcr50

this is a set of the cruzer look alikes for my new race car I had powder coated after blasting them brand new  with titanium header coating
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Flipper

We went and pickd them up.  They were not the sizes listed on ebay (17x8 and 18x8), they were better.  the fronts were 17x7 and the rears were 18x9.5 !!!!!