Another question for all you smart computer Guru's on here

Started by HotRodLadyCrusr, November 20, 2006, 09:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodLadyCrusr

I'd like to get a couple of products and I thought you smart ones on here might be able to lead me in the right direction.  

I'm looking for a printer that can print on 12 x 12 inch paper....for my scrapbooking.

I'm also looking for a scanner that can scan slides.  Dad took thousands of slides over a 15 year period and I'd like to scan them and share them among the family.  

Any leads on which brands/model would be best?  Features to look for?  What about brands/models to stay away from?

I'm hoping to give this info to Santa and since I've been a good girl I'm hoping one of them might be under the tree on Christmas morning. :wink:

Thnaks guys!
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

alchevy

The HP 9800 inkjet printer can print up to 13 x 19 size. It runs under $300. We have a few of them at work here. I have tried to use some of the scanners with a slide adapter on them, but you have to have a lot of patience if you are going to scan 15 years worth. I think I remember seeing a scanner that just did slides several years ago, not sure if it is still on the market. You might ask at a store that sells cameras if they know of any such device.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Cword

Hey Denise

On the slide scanning thing.  I just started on scanning my father in laws slides yesterday.

I looked into dedicated slide scanners, but got turned away from them for archiving because they are not "cardboard mount" friendly.  You can scan cardboard mounted slides, one at a time in them, but the fibres will mess up the optics and they have to be disassembled to be cleaned.  Also the automatic feeders are designed for plastic mounts and will jam when used with cardboard mounted slides.

I ended up with anEPSON Perfection V700 Photo
It is a back lit flat bed scanner that comes equipped with several transparency holders, one of which holds 12 slides.

Operation is simple, the epson software automatically recognizes the 12 slides and their orientation and scans and saves them as 12 separate files at the push of one button.  I've been scanning at a medium resolution which generates a scan that is 3600 by (I forget but it's near 2400) this takes about 1.5 min per slide.  Lower resolution is quicker, higher is slower.

Mike
--

slocrow

Hi Cutie; Happy Thanksgiving. Re the slide capture; Although Cword seems to have an answer if not the answer, It's a healthy piece of change for that scanner.
How about just setting up the slide screen and projector, your digital camera on a tripod and shoot away.
Just a thought as that's how I plan to do those B'Ville 03 pics for transfer to CD, if I can ever find them after I put them in a safe place. CRS has got me..............Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

river1

hey mike,

how is that scanner on photos?

i have my parents family photo collection, mostly back and white, going back to before they got married. i also have my grandmothers collection which includes a lot of slides, so need a scanner which does both well.

thanks jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Cword

Quote from: "river1"hey mike,

i have my parents family photo collection, mostly back and white, going back to before they got married. i also have my grandmothers collection which includes a lot of slides, so need a scanner which does both well.

thanks jim

It does an excellent job of photos.  The resolution is nuts at 6400 dpi. High resolution is a must for the slides due to their small size.  When applied to photos that same resolution makes for an incredible tool.

The exposure and color controls have many presets to compensate for indoor, outdoor, night and various other types of subjects.  There is a standard platen that snaps in over the back light for scanning prints and other reflective surface type media. Effectively turning it into a standard scanner.

The control software does a great job of adapting exposure to various sources. It will do color correction on old negatives and has film holders for 35mm, 120, 220 as well as large format sheet negatives.

Another thing I like is the mapping of the scanner button to the control software.  It is quite easy to configure the "Full Auto" mode so that bulk archiving of a large supply of similar media is easy.

I'm not looking forward to the few thousand slides that are still ahead of me, SloCrows method would be a lot easier but I'm not confident of the quality output of that method.  Right now I load 12, start it scanning and then do something else.  Fortunately the scanner doesn't require a lot of computer resource so I can let it run while I work on other things.  

Mike

PS that link I made is to the Epson Canada site, the price is Canadian Dollars and should be less in the US.
--

Cword

thanks jim

Krikey Jim!

There's got to be a draw out there somewhere where you could win one of these!  

Congrats on all the good luck

Mike
--

phat rat

thanks jim

I've got a Dell printer/scanner and it does an excellent job on reprinting old pics
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

slocrow

Mike said; "SloCrows method would be a lot easier but I'm not confident of the quality output of that method."

Mike; Good point, I think, unfortunately. Today I actually went on a hunt for my prints and found then buried, etc.
I took a digital shot of each print in one roll. Not the desired result.
I'll give it another try with a better jig and with natural light and hope for a better result.
What I got was washed out and very grainy and not nearly acceptable.
I'll let youz guys know if I can get a better result using these prints. I'm going to try some slides soon and I'm hoping for better, seeing that they a brightly backlit.
Anyway, that's my story, so far............................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

HotRodLadyCrusr

Thanks for the help guys, lots of good info.

Decided on the printer.  Went with an Epson.  Will post printing results after Christmas.

As far as the scanner, I'm looking at this model at Staples.  Does anyone have any feedback on it?  Good/bad?   It's does 16 slides at once which I thought was a GREAT plus.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=photo_scanner&category=scanners&orderflow=1&a1=Scanner+type&v1=Photo&product_code=L1952A%23B1H&catLevel=2

Cword

The price and speed look excellent.

PC Mags review suggest the output quality might be a bit low, I wonder if that something most of us would ever notice?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1926741,00.asp

They also review the Epson I've bought at
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1931776,00.asp

I've only scanned about 600 slides so far.  I'm pleased with the output although the time involved is long. I've chosen to scan at a fairly high resolution which makes each slide take a bit longer. Right now I'm running near 20 minutes for each group of 12.
--

HotRodLadyCrusr

Thanks for your input Mike.  Means alot to me.  I would probley also scan at a high res as some of these I might print out for a scrapbook down the road.  I'll plan on scanning then going to do something else around the house....or surf the internet :roll: , then come back to the scanning, knowing the process is long but neccessary.

Thanks again for your help.....I'll see ya in August :wink:

kb426

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16838104025
This is a item listing that has a bunch of reviews. It's cheaper here also. I use Newegg alot and have zero complaints.
TEAM SMART