Will this size tire fit my Pontiac?

Started by 58 Yeoman, December 02, 2006, 07:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I was heading south on I-39 today, and this tire fell out of the sky, into the center median.  Well, actually, it was just setting there on top of the snow.  No one else stopped, so I did, wheeled it to the back of the mini van, and loaded it up.  It is a brand new CEAT ST-92 tubeless trailer service tire, size 11-22.5.   Dam thing is huge.  Any ideas on what it's worth?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Fat Cat

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I was heading south on I-39 today, and this tire fell out of the sky, into the center median.  Well, actually, it was just setting there on top of the snow.  No one else stopped, so I did, wheeled it to the back of the mini van, and loaded it up.  It is a brand new CEAT ST-92 tubeless trailer service tire, size 11-22.5.   Dam thing is huge.  Any ideas on what it's worth?

If it is brand new and not a recap I would figure it is worth around $400 or so. If it is a recap then about half of that. It also would depend on the type of wheel it is mounted on.

GPster

You're lucky to be able to ask us "What's it worth?" rather than telling us what it's going to cost you. GPster

Flipper

Quote from: "GPster"You're lucky to be able to ask us "What's it worth?" rather than telling us what it's going to cost you. GPster

or where the funneral is gonna be.

You'd be amazed what one of those things will run over/run through.

enjenjo

Looks like a Budd 10 hole unimount wheel. Fits most newer trucks.

Years ago, a truck coming the other direction lost two wheels. The car is front of me swerved out of the way, one tire hit the side of my car, scuffed the paint. The car behind me, a Pontiac hit it head on, the tire bounced up when it hit the bumper, and came down on the top of the car at the windshield, caving the top down to the dash. No one was injured. The tire continued down the road, nearly 1/4 mile. The truck driver walked down the road to get the loose tire, just as he got near, two guys jumped out of a Ford pickup, flipped the tire into the back, and drove off with it. :shock:

A couple years ago, at the trucking company where I worked, a front tire blew on a truck being driven in the yard. The tire came off the rim, rolled into a pallet rack loaded with new engines, tipping it over onto the district manager's new Lincoln Towncar. It was parked in a no parking area. :oops:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

I saw it sitting in the median on the way to my GF's house, and was surprised to see it still sitting there on the way back.  There were a lot of semi's on the road, and they weren't going that fast, as the roads were still crummy.  It wouldn't have taken much for one of them to stop and pick it up.  I thought it must have fallen off one of those new tractors that you see two or three being towed by one, but then the tire says trailer service.

I can imagine what a tire like that would do if it hit you.  Years ago, a friend of mine was driving her car in town, and a 4 wheeler with big tires was coming towards her, when he lost a front tire.  It bounced up and smashed her w/s, plus damage to the hood of her car.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

river1

about twenty years ago the son of a coworker was driving a VW bug that got hit by a trailer tire. it squashed the bug like a grape killing him instantly. the trailer was coming from getting the tires installed. my coworker sued the installer and won a large settlement. he retired shortly afterward and moved to his native italy. he always said he'd rather have his son back.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.