transmission help

Started by MIC, December 02, 2006, 12:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIC

i have a 1990 chevy c1500. recently i sprang a tranny leak (lines to cooler) i fixed the leak and when refilled with fuild i found i lost my 3rd and 4th gear. originally i thought i had a turbo350 but later found i have a 700r4. so i buy a 700r4 from a private individual, i install the tranny and when doing an opp test in the garage (axle on stands) the tranny does nothing when put into any of the drive gears. sll fluid levels are correct and installation was correct. what could be my issues?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "MIC"i have a 1990 chevy c1500. recently i sprang a tranny leak (lines to cooler) i fixed the leak and when refilled with fuild i found i lost my 3rd and 4th gear. originally i thought i had a turbo350 but later found i have a 700r4. so i buy a 700r4 from a private individual, i install the tranny and when doing an opp test in the garage (axle on stands) the tranny does nothing when put into any of the drive gears. sll fluid levels are correct and installation was correct. what could be my issues?

Did you reuse your converter?  Or the converter with the used tranny?  Was it a used or rebuilt replacement  tranny? ... This could be a mismatch of converter to tranny input shaft splines

possible you broke the pump on install?  Converter not fully installed into the tranny?

Have you verified tranny pressure?  Loosen a cooler line while the engine is running?

Shift linkage hooked up correctly?  

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

MIC

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "MIC"i have a 1990 chevy c1500. recently i sprang a tranny leak (lines to cooler) i fixed the leak and when refilled with fuild i found i lost my 3rd and 4th gear. originally i thought i had a turbo350 but later found i have a 700r4. so i buy a 700r4 from a private individual, i install the tranny and when doing an opp test in the garage (axle on stands) the tranny does nothing when put into any of the drive gears. sll fluid levels are correct and installation was correct. what could be my issues?

Did you reuse your converter?  Or the converter with the used tranny?  Was it a used or rebuilt replacement  tranny? ... This could be a mismatch of converter to tranny input shaft splines

possible you broke the pump on install?  Converter not fully installed into the tranny?

Have you verified tranny pressure?  Loosen a cooler line while the engine is running?

Shift linkage hooked up correctly?  

i did reuse the converter. i was told that the tranny was an original from an earlier model car. the guy made sure to point out the new front and rear oil seals and it was painted. the converter was fully installed on tranny shaft and lined up perfectly. i did not verify pressure of any of the lines. i now have the tranny out of the truck sitting on a motor stand. when i dismounted the tranny and disconnected the cooling lines nothing came out, not even a drip and i ran it i know long enough for something to get cycled through the cooling lines. shift linkages hooked up correctly

Crosley.In.AZ

Sounds like the pump was broken on install.

IF you did not have to move the converter forward slightly to the flywheel after the tranny & engine were fully bolted together , the pump may be broken.

Second guess is you used your converter (1990) unit in an earlier tranny with a 27 spline input shaft.  Your 1990 converter is a 30 spline input shaft unit.  30 spline converter slides over the 27 spline input shaft ..... there would be no power transmitted.

No oil in the cooler lines tells me the pump was not operating , which usually is a broken rotor inside the pump from a mis-install

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"Sounds like the pump was broken on install...........

8)

I'll bet that is what happened and don't ask me how I know :cry: .

I lucked out and it didn't damage the transmission.  A way to tell if the convertor is all the way on the shaft is that when it is you can't put your fingers between the back of the converter and the bottom of the transmission (bottom front).

c ya,

Sum

dragrcr50

there is a diff in splines on the input in early and late 700 trans.  and the pump rotors are easy to break when the converter is installed if not just right, unlike the turbo 350 which is a solid pump gear design, the 700 is a rotor with vains  ie 7 or 10 vane etc. if it is out pull the converter and look in the trns around the input and see if it is concentric or not inside at the pump ears.
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,