Small thing big hole continued

Started by GPster, December 02, 2006, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Part of my problem (not really) is that when I set up the chassis for a V8 I used a tube crossmember from Speedway and the old style V8 side mounts. Of course the mounts are new and they bolt on to the side of the V6 block so that kind of placed the engine in an odd place as the dimension of the mounting boss on the V6 do not share the same dimension to the front of the block or back of the block that the V8 uses. I forgot about the incapsolated mounts that Chevy went to but the S10 conversion mounts are made to slide the mount foreward (or backwards) on the frame and I needed to do the change on the side of the block because of the early type mounts and the crossmember. I made a Prototype set last night out of a piece of 1/4"x 4" strap iron from Lowes. Because of my trying to use the whole piece of metal my creation moves the mount foreward (allowing the engine to slide back) 2". With some guessing it might allow the stock fuel pump to still fit on the engine. Now that all the wood blocks can be removed I'll study it some more and maybe the production model will only be 1 3/4" offset (which is 1/2 the distance between the mounting bosses on the engine). Before I go into production I'll have to buy some new drill bits or get a better selection of "rat tail files". It's a shame what electronic fuel injection has done to the world of junk. I looked for a used fuel fump for a 90 degree V6 thw other day and out of 200 cars at the junkyard and a junk engine pile that is better than 20 years old not even a broken one could be found. This typing is keeping me from eating lunch. GPster

rooster

Couldent you just stick any SBC fuel pump on the block ? For the fit! Then come back later after you get the right one from parts store and replace it.

GPster

Quote from: "rooster"Couldent you just stick any SBC fuel pump on the block ? For the fit! Then come back later after you get the right one from parts store and replace it.
I was cautioned from the start that they are totally different and it doesnt even look like one would fit on the mounting plate for size. I still want to check the placement of everything and I may just go with an electric fuel pump so that I won't have to re-design if this motor is junk and I have to find a newer replacement. GPster

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "rooster"Couldent you just stick any SBC fuel pump on the block ? For the fit! Then come back later after you get the right one from parts store and replace it.
I was cautioned from the start that they are totally different and it doesnt even look like one would fit on the mounting plate for size. I still want to check the placement of everything and I may just go with an electric fuel pump so that I won't have to re-design if this motor is junk and I have to find a newer replacement. GPster

My thoughts were that the block of a v6 were the same block as a 350 minus 2 cylinders. If you had a junker pump laying around from a SBC and the pump arm was different you could just chop it off, for the test fit. But maybe not!

model a vette

The V6 pumps are just like the V8 pumps but mount upside down. The dimensions are the same but the venting is different. A V8 pump mounted on a V6 will leak oil.
Ed

GPster

Quote from: "model a vette"The V6 pumps are just like the V8 pumps but mount upside down. The dimensions are the same but the venting is different. A V8 pump mounted on a V6 will leak oil.
I should have realized that somewhere along the line I would have confused something. Thanks but unfortunately the only part that was not on the 350 when I got it was a fuel pump. I hope it's sunny tomorrow so I can search the junkyard for fuel pumps and steerin universals. GPster