Dodge truck

Started by MrMopar64, November 14, 2006, 11:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMopar64

Hi Guys
I'm look'n to buy a Dodge truck.... '96 to 2000
(of corse I'd like a new one but thats not in the budget)  :(
Dakota or Ram but I do want a v6 and prefer a automatic
Are there any years or motors I should stay away from?
Alot of them I've seen are pushing 150,000 which seems like alot of miles to me
The only person I know with one has 140,000 and he claims it still running great with no problems

TIA
MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

SKR8PN

They all used the 3.9 V-6 in that year range.
VERY Good engine....transmissions weren't TO bad :shock:   But my truck is a stick :lol:  They ALL had A/c problems.......a  few had rear differential problems....... a few have trans trouble.
Best maintenance advise I can give you is to CHANGE THE TRANNY FLUID!!! :lol:

Oh ya..and mine has 120,000 on it and is still running great.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

58 Yeoman

My GF has a 98 Chrysler Cirrus with the 2.5 V6, has 212000 miles on it with the original spark plugs in it.  I"M not changing em....have to remove the intake for three of them.  It just blew its' 3rd heat blower bypass resistor. ??
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Inprimer

Quote from: "SKR8PN"They all used the 3.9 V-6 in that year range.
VERY Good engine....transmissions weren't TO bad :shock:   But my truck is a stick :lol:  They ALL had A/c problems.......a  few had rear differential problems....... a few have trans trouble.
Best maintenance advise I can give you is to CHANGE THE TRANNY FLUID!!! :lol:

Oh ya..and mine has 120,000 on it and is still running great.
I've owned 5 Dodges over the last 15 years,  2 Rams  3 Dakotas. One thing about the 3.9 not too fuel efficient IMO, I got ok  milage with a 99 4X4  318,  now I have an 05 Dakota  3.7/ 6sp I.ve been cross country 3x AZ to NY pulling a trailer 2  times. The rear is a 2.68, not exactly great for a trailer but the 6 sp helps . Its somewhat slooow  up & down hills  esp with a trailer, best milage was 22 with a trailer worst 13/14 in a headwind that  was unreal. Depends what you want. IMO  the 8 is a better choise .The 6 is lathargic unless you wind it over 3500 RPM My 92 Dakota was a 3.9 and at the time mi difference  with a 3.9 vs 5.2 was about 1 mi per gal on the highway I was sorry I did'nt buy the 318 at that time. I change oil every 3k and 30 k on a 1 yr old truck with NO PROBLEMS is fine for me Good luck

rumrumm

I finally figured out why I have such a hankerin' for a Dodge truck. Man, those guys at Daimler Chrysler are sneaky!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Oh my God....That's funny!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

tonto1

FWIW I have an '02 Dakota pickup with the 4.7 V-8 and AT. Has about 45K miles and no problems yet except an O2 sensor.
In talking to people with the V6, I get almost the same gas mileage as they do. ~18mpg locally. Highway only is ~20
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

MrMopar64

Well guys I bought a 2001 Ram quad cab 5.2 v8 auto 40,000 mi   :D
Very clean truck...... Hope I have as good of luck as you others have
Thanks to everyone for the info

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol: