Hidden Hinges

Started by RAJ484, November 25, 2006, 12:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAJ484

Ok Guys,
I've got the hidden hinges ruffed in for the front doors. Heres a link to the pictures. Any advise, comments, ect will be greatly appreciated. I'm VERY new at this.
Bob

It drove into my garage...it DID drive back out!!!

Dave

Quote from: "RAJ484"Ok Guys,
I've got the hidden hinges ruffed in for the front doors. Heres a link to the pictures. Any advise, comments, ect will be greatly appreciated. I'm VERY new at this.
Bob

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j109/RAJ484/LeftSideOutside.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j109/RAJ484/RightSideInside.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j109/RAJ484/RightSideOutside.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j109/RAJ484/TopLeftHinge.jpg

Looks good. Ive never done a set my self but all the glass cars ive had had em but they were cheap junk! I cant tell by looking but i hope yours have bronze or at least brass bushings in em.  I cant believe they make em without bushings then to add insult to injury they use allen bolts and actually expect the bolt threads to swivel on or in the hinge. All this does is make em wear faster.
Dave

Crosley.In.AZ

I've never installed a set.

Looks dang good so far.  I imagine the next step is checking & rechecking for the  door alignment is close before the final welding?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

Quote from: "Crosley"I've never installed a set.

Looks dang good so far.  I imagine the next step is checking & rechecking for the  door alignment is close before the final welding?

Take it from one who has hidden hinges. Do as Crosley says, NO final welding until you are sure the doors swing right and have clearance. We didn't do this on the first hinge and I'll tell you by the time you have to cut it all out it leaves you wondering if you can save it.  Also if they doesn't have bushings get rid of them as there are ones that do. As Dave said they will last longer.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

RAJ484

These are from Rocky Hinge and yes they do have the brass bushings in them. I guess the next step is to tack weld them in and start fitting the doors. Also will be getting the back door hinges soon. They will  be suicided
Bob
It drove into my garage...it DID drive back out!!!

Crosley.In.AZ

Tell us about the firewall.... it looks like a full replacement.

Is there a coating / paint / primer on the metal of the firewall?

Tony

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"Tell us about the firewall.... it looks like a full replacement.

Is there a coating / paint / primer on the metal of the firewall?

I think we need to know more about the whole project.  :?:  From what im seeing with the pics we have a mad fabricator here. Mad enuff to do it right.
Im seeing some quality work here and im impressed.
Hey anyone watch speed last night.  James dean............ Ha  a legend in his own mind :!: (till the crash).. Uh oh there I go again way off base..... :wink:
Dave :!:  :arrow:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jusjunk"

I think we need to know more about the whole project.  :?:  From what im seeing with the pics we have a mad fabricator here. Mad enuff to do it right.
Im seeing some quality work here and im impressed.
:wink:
Dave :!:  :arrow:

yep ,

I see tubular front A arms..... looks like billet aluminum calipers.  neat stuff!
Tony

ragdol

I'm thinking that bolting a piece of flat bar on the hinges would help with alignment. Also you could pivot the hinges to check movement. I understand that pin alignment between the hinges is the most critical thing.Larry.

Looks Good! One other thing you might want to check (or perhaps you already have) is whether the doors will clear the front fenders.The hidden hinges change the trajectory of the doors as they open.I learned this the hard way on my last 37 Ford Sedan.We were so concerned making the door gaps etc correct that we never thought about fitting the front fenders to check for clearance.We had already fit the fenders before working on the doors so the next time the fenders were installed was after paint.The doors would only open about 1/2 way......just enough room to slide in.It's a long story but the final solution was to install a set of Glass Down's re-designed front fenders.....the fender is actually shorter and the running board longer to compensate.Good Luck and keep us posted on the progress!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"