Back home again

Started by phat46, November 21, 2006, 04:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Hi, Remember me? I just got home from the big deer hunt in the U.P. It was quite a bust this year. Just two deer in a camp with eight hunters...and the same guy got both deer!!! This was the worst season I've ever experienced, as least as far as hunting goes, I saw just six deer in seven days of hunting. Six deer sightings in one day used to be a bad day! Our hunting area is getting over populated with wolves and coyotes. The deer were extremely skitish and stayed mostly in the deep swamps.  On the other hand it was WAY better than a week at work, I got to see a wolf, several coyotes, a Fisher, an ermine, eagles, a couple rare pileated (sp) wood peckers, and happily the partrige are back in good numbers after an absence of several years. We took a trek to a set of rapids on the Paint River that would be a huge tourist attraction if they were accessible by any type of road; it's really nice to see these things in a real natural setting. I told my hunting partner that the 550 mile drive is worth it just to sit by the rapids totally alone!
I might drive 25 miles to my brother little patch of land and shoot a farm feild deer on Friday, I have eaten all the venison from last years deer :(

Sean

Start hunting Coyotes during the winter like we do around here. Excess Coyotes take a toll on Quail and Turkeys too.

phat46

Quote from: "Sean"Start hunting Coyotes during the winter like we do around here. Excess Coyotes take a toll on Quail and Turkeys too.

Why wait till winter?  :roll:

kb426

Come to Kansas. Every car gets a deer for a hood ornament!
TEAM SMART

phat rat

Quote from: "phat46"Hi, Remember me? I just got home from the big deer hunt in the U.P. It was quite a bust this year. Just two deer in a camp with eight hunters...and the same guy got both deer!!! This was the worst season I've ever experienced, as least as far as hunting goes, I saw just six deer in seven days of hunting. Six deer sightings in one day used to be a bad day! Our hunting area is getting over populated with wolves and coyotes. The deer were extremely skitish and stayed mostly in the deep swamps.  On the other hand it was WAY better than a week at work, I got to see a wolf, several coyotes, a Fisher, an ermine, eagles, a couple rare pileated (sp) wood peckers, and happily the partrige are back in good numbers after an absence of several years. We took a trek to a set of rapids on the Paint River that would be a huge tourist attraction if they were accessible by any type of road; it's really nice to see these things in a real natural setting. I told my hunting partner that the 550 mile drive is worth it just to sit by the rapids totally alone!
I might drive 25 miles to my brother little patch of land and shoot a farm feild deer on Friday, I have eaten all the venison from last years deer :(

Yes you got the spelling right on the Pileated Woodpecker. We have 1 or 2 pair here at my place. We've seen them since the first year we lived here (91) Most people don't have a clue and look at you in disbelieve when you tell them there is a woodpecker the size of a crow. Sorry to here your hunting was not successful but at least you had a great time.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "kb426"Come to Kansas. Every car gets a deer for a hood ornament!

Down here too :!:  :!:

you can come sit on my front porch and get your limit :shock:

darn things are eatin' my trees up :x

if I wasn't worried 'bout hittin' my neighbor, I'd pop a few myself :roll:

they're scarin' off the sheep :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Were not havin much luck where we hunt either. 2 small ones is all thats been taken this season so far. I saw tons of deer till gun season started. I did shoot one of the small ones and i hit another but we never found it :cry:
Ive got meat cause my oldest got a 5 and a 9 point and my little one made a pretty good pile in the freezer. We did burger sunday and sunday evening sue made goulash (spelling?) . It was great and even better yesterday warmed up for lunch. I havent been hunting the mornings cause we havent been seeing anything in the morning just the evening. I think today im gonna put the shotgun away and get the smoke pole out. Ill be able to shoot 200 yards with it. :lol: Today was prolly a good day to be out but i just cant get my lazy butt outta bed. :arrow: Not going out has given me time to work on the roadster though. Ive been doing some little things and pondering the hood deal. Havent decided if im gonna run one or not yet but its almost on cept i need to make a couple more brackets like i did on the coupe and ill have to do that when i get back to work.  Dont give up,,,,,,,,, the deer are there you just gotta be there at the right time. Remember last year? I shot 5 I figured that was gonna be my best year...
Dave :lol:

slocrow

Quote from: "jusjunk"Ive got meat cause my oldest got a 5 and a 9 point
Dave; That's the second time you've referred to the deer by their points. It's also the second time you've chosen an odd number when making that reference.
Not being a hunter I'm curious, are all racks equipped with an odd number of points? Maybe you're just an odd rack kind of guy. That's rack as in antlers not as in 50's cool..........(smile). Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

phat rat

Quote from: "slocrow"
Quote from: "jusjunk"Ive got meat cause my oldest got a 5 and a 9 point
Dave; That's the second time you've referred to the deer by their points. It's also the second time you've chosen an odd number when making that reference.
Not being a hunter I'm curious, are all racks equipped with an odd number of points? Maybe you're just an odd rack kind of guy. That's rack as in antlers not as in 50's cool..........(smile). Frank

Frank, they come all ways even and odd. It depends on whether or not the shooter is odd.   :lol:  :lol:  Seriously, a spike would be 2 points (two antlers without any other growth) except it's called a spike
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

n.c.rodder

Not any better up here in the Northeast either. Saw one small doe opening day and haven't seen anything sense. :shock:  Thats why I'm on the puter, decided not to even go out this afternoon. Heck, sense the weather is so nice, thinking about working on my daughters pickup this weekend and not even going out then! :?

Mike
Till we meet - On the street