O/T the USS Intrepid aground and me

Started by WZ JUNK, November 07, 2006, 08:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I was stationed on the USS Intrepid, an old aircraft carrier, during my four years in the Navy.  While on the ship we made a cruise where we circumnavigated the globe. (we went around the world at sea).  A few years ago they made it into a real nice sea, air and space museum.  It was tied to a pier at New York City.  My family took a vacation out east one summer and I took my kids aboard the Intrepid.  It was great to be able to go back.

I saw on the news today that they were trying to move it across the bay to New Jersey for some repairs and remodeling and they have ran it aground.  It does not sound like it is endangered but they have a problem because silt has settled in around where the ship is tied and they can not move it.  The ship is a very interesting piece of our history, I hope they do not mess it up.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Kctom

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I was stationed on the USS Intrepid, an old aircraft carrier, during my four years in the Navy.  While on the ship we made a cruise where we circumnavigated the globe. (we went around the world at sea).  A few years ago they made it into a real nice sea, air and space museum.  It was tied to a pier at New York City.  My family took a vacation out east one summer and I took my kids aboard the Intrepid.  It was great to be able to go back.

I saw on the news today that they were trying to move it across the bay to New Jersey for some repairs and remodeling and they have ran it aground.  It does not sound like it is endangered but they have a problem because silt has settled in around where the ship is tied and they can not move it.  The ship is a very interesting piece of our history, I hope they do not mess it up.
John
John, i spent my time on one too USS Oriskany. They sank it this year to make a fish motel. SAD

WZ JUNK

I was onboard when the Intrepid ran aground one other time.  Here is an article that describes that event.  http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/nyregion/08intrepid.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1162985854-/1K+MuwIIL180A+SimKHow&oref=slogin  The captain, named Moore I believe, did not last long after he got us stuck in the mud.

I have done some more reading and it seems they will be able to move the ship as soon as they clear some of the silt.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

BFS57

Hello;
I'm not a Navy person but a couple years ago, while visiting Hawaii, we wanted to go to Pearl Harbor. The only tour available to us was to the Missouri.
Man. I'm glad I took that tour! My daughter got to see first hand  (as well as me) that super ship. I'm glad that the powers to be have turned it into a Museum. It really is a sight to behold. I recommend that anyone that gets a chance go see it!
Hawaii's not to bad either!

Bruce

Topsterguy

There's a magazine out called "Sea Classics" and in it are all the ship museums around the country, and there are A LOT! REALLY interesting! I was in the Canadian Navy and two of the DDE's I was on are fish hotels too! Is nothing sacred! Also, the movie " K-19, the Widowmaker" about  a Russian sub in big trouble..................there's a US destroyer that shadows it...............it's actually another DDE I was on , the HMCS Terra Nova ( yep, very obviously Canadian!), which was also the only Canadain Navy ship to serve in Viet Nam ( and I was on it for the tour). Just a little bit of trivia. :wink:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"