Anyone use Jag front suspensions?

Started by Mojo, February 14, 2004, 08:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I'm desperate for some measurements from a XJ Jaguar from the 70's or 80's. I'm wondering how wide the front is from hub to hub, and how wide apart the sub-frame mounting points are. I've looked all over the internet, but no luck whatsoever.

I'm just kinda curious how it stacks up to a 67 Mustang... if it's a feasable swap, both front and rear. I'm thinking that it could be an effective way to get disk brakes, R&P steering, and decent geometry in one fell swoop. Thanks!

Bib_Overalls

I don't have the info you want but I'll bet Jerry Kugel can help. At one time he sold kits to adapt the Jag front and rear suspensions to street rods.  One of my friends has a Model A with the Kugel/Jag suspension on all four corners.  It is a sweet riding machine.  Today we assosiate the Kugel shop with high end but I have called several times to order their hold down clamps.  They have always treated me like my $15 order was going to pay the rent for a month.  The number is (562) 691-7006.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

rooster

Quote from: "Mojo"I'm desperate for some measurements from a XJ Jaguar from the 70's or 80's. I'm wondering how wide the front is from hub to hub, and how wide apart the sub-frame mounting points are. I've looked all over the internet, but no luck whatsoever.

I'm just kinda curious how it stacks up to a 67 Mustang... if it's a feasable swap, both front and rear. I'm thinking that it could be an effective way to get disk brakes, R&P steering, and decent geometry in one fell swoop. Thanks!

If you go to the old RRT archives and do a search you may find a guys inquiring about jag front ends, I posted a few picts also! Better go there and get it, it dosent sound like that data is going to make the trip here!
Good Luck
Rooster

heres afew pict if it works!

rooster

Quote from: "Mojo"I'm desperate for some measurements from a XJ Jaguar from the 70's or 80's. I'm wondering how wide the front is from hub to hub, and how wide apart the sub-frame mounting points are. I've looked all over the internet, but no luck whatsoever.

try this:  http://www.roddingroundtable.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=4678&forum=DCForumID1

Mac

Measurments off of the front end I'm using (not sure but think it's early 80's vintage XJ) is: 59.5" hub to hub, 28.5" between mounts (both frt.& rear), raer mts. are 2" behind the axle CL & ftr. mts. are 16" ahead of axle. You'll have 33" between the tower uprights that support the upper A arms. I'm told it's superior to the MII in strength and ride quality. Jags are purt-near 2 tons. Suited to Fat Fenders and P-cups. Clunky on A's and other 20's-30's where the suspension is visible IMHO.
Attached is a link to Aussie Chopper John's site. (I hope)
Who\'s yer Data?

ripper

Ahh this help (it's in mm not inches)?
Mk 1, 11 58-59
F - 1422
R 1381

Mk X 62-67
F-1498
R - 1498

S type 64-68
F - 1428
R - 1403

XJ6 69-73
F 1479
R - 1506

E type, E type Series II
F - 1295
R - 1295

E type Series III 72-73
F - 1403
R - 1403

XJ6 Series II 74-82
F - 1505
R - 1520

I've got that written on some paperwork here ( and that's pretty much it) but I'll check West Australian Street Rod Guidelines to confirm those numbers...pretty sure that's correct but I'll double check to be sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
May The Vehicle You Use To Get There Become The Reason For Going!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ripper

found it numbers are identical...whoever gave me them numbers probably copied them out of the guidelines.
so just in case they did...Credit goes to the Guidelines!  
:-)

BTW there's a mob in the eastern states (of Australia) with a special kit to fit 9" crown & pinion etc (I think, haven't seen it myself yet) into Jag rear ends (dunno which ones...not much help huh?) and the Holden Commodore rear ends as well.

Yeah not a lot of help maybe, but gee for someone of unknown gender I'm doing ok hahaha!

ripper

Gee my thrid post in less than 20 minutes!

haha

If Snooze is here online, ask him which issue, but Marshall Perron's Mustang (late 60s) was featured a year or so ago with a full Jag rear fitted.

Australian Street Rodding is the magazine.
If you find it, there's prolly a link on Snooze's page to Garfitti Publications & order it.

Might have finally been of some help ha! Dunno about the other measurements you're chasing
cheers
ripper

Mojo

You guys are top notch! I've been looking for that info for 2 weeks on and off. Judging by the widths, it looks feasable, as the mustang's rearend is 58" wide, and it's a safe bet the front is a bit more.

I've just done some quick measurements, and the frame rails are 33" wide (32 if I trim the outside lips off), but it looks like the rear curve of the rails (where they sweep under to the floor) might be a problem. That, and the engine is a front sump, and will most likely be in the way of the jag's crossmemeber. Anyhow, once i get over this flu, i'm gonna do some real measuring, and see if it's possible.

Thank yall so much!

Flipper

Quote from: "rooster"

If you go to the old RRT archives and do a search you may find a guys inquiring about jag front ends, I posted a few picts also! Better go there and get it, it dosent sound like that data is going to make the trip here!
Good Luck
Rooster

heres afew pict if it works!

When doing this swap, does anyone connect the upper a-arm mounts to the frame?  I mean fill in gap between the vertical part on the jag and the new frame.

or do they leave the gap?