OT Q about Elk meat

Started by C9, November 05, 2006, 06:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

My daughter came home with about 20# of the stuff.

She's doing a roast in the crockpot now - smells really good.

I'm wondering if the steaks can be BBQ'd like you would steer meat?
In other words, season, cook, turn, cook, remove etc.
Or should we place a piece of bacon on top of the meat so it will be basted as it cooks?

Thinking too about grinding some of it to make hamburger.
A friend of mine did this in the past and he added sausage because the deer meat was so lean.
Should we add sausage to Elk burger?

Some of the smaller steaks will be cut up for stew and I don't see any problems there.

I used to hunt for my own meat, but the Supermarket got tired of me lugging the 30-30 down the meat aisle.... :lol:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Dave

Quote from: "C9"My daughter came home with about 20# of the stuff.

She's doing a roast in the crockpot now - smells really good.

I'm wondering if the steaks can be BBQ'd like you would steer meat?
In other words, season, cook, turn, cook, remove etc.
Or should we place a piece of bacon on top of the meat so it will be basted as it cooks?

Thinking too about grinding some of it to make hamburger.
A friend of mine did this in the past and he added sausage because the deer meat was so lean.
Should we add sausage to Elk burger?

Some of the smaller steaks will be cut up for stew and I don't see any problems there.

I used to hunt for my own meat, but the Supermarket got tired of me lugging the 30-30 down the meat aisle.... :lol:

If your gonna make burger id use some beef fat with it when you grind it up . Its lean meat like venision. Steaks mmmmmmmmmmmm. Id maybe try a marinade like jack daniels or what ever you like. It will just take the gamey flavor out if there is any..  Bacon helps as does a good dose of beer on em while you cook em.  Im gettin hungry right now just typing this and im out of venison. Ive been trying to kill one and ive seen a bunch but no kill yet. I want the 8 point i saw right after the 6 point right after the 4 point right after the does all on the same night.  Im actually a meat hunter but dam id like a nice buck......
Dave :!:  :arrow:

phat46

Yes, you should be able to grill it nicely. Just trim the steaks well. That is: remove any fat from them, that's where you get the "gamey" taste. I have found that I like venison best on the grill, as opposed to frying. The thing to remeber about any type of venison is to NOT overcook it, there's so little fat that it cooks very quickly, and if over cooked it gets tough. I am down to one package of burger and two butterfly chops from last years deer, good thing deer season starts next week!!! The elk will grind into burger  nicely too, and many people do add the pork to the burger for the fat content; I like it both ways.......the burger that is!!!!! :lol: Just bought some elk sausage and snack sticks from a meat market last weekend, they WERE really good!   :lol:

C9

Many thanks guys.

Venison, Elk meat etc. is somewhat new to me.

Used to duck hunt, but don't do that anymore.

The roast came out pretty good.
Shoulda added more liquid - beer - I think cuz it was a little dry, but we're gonna turn what's left into stew tonight.

Looking forward to the steaks....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Rex Schimmer

C9,
If you elk meat happens to be from a cow, treat it like good beef only leaner. Great flavor. If it is from a bull then it will be somewhat gamey but still better than deer meat!

Rex